Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

What is the best country/place to stay in December and possibly New Year?

Posted by Digitalis on 3/9/2008 at 18:29

Hello all you lovely helpfull people out there.

Me and my Girlfriend are going tho SE Asia for 6 months for october to april.
We are starting of in Thailand for 30 days.

I would love to know peoples recomendations for a country/place to stay in december and possibly new year. Oh and its my girlfriends birthday as well in late december.

We are on a tightish budget for the trip about $10-$15 but I am going to splash out a bit for the three weeks of grilfriends bithday, xmas and new year. I was thinking of about $30 per night for a room
My girlfriend was hinting at a spar hotel for her birthday and she is vegetarian
We like chilling out, beaches, a bit if a party, food, Dub misic and all that sort of stuff.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

#1 Digitalis has been a member since 18/7/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by Munkychump on 5/9/2008 at 10:55

I too am looking for somewhere to go over Christmas and New Year.. so as well as answering Digitalis' question for nice places to spend time with his g/f, please also throw in some suggestions in for a lone traveller!

Otherwise I'll end up going to the full moon party with everyone else. :o/

#2 Munkychump has been a member since 28/12/2006. Posts: 7

Posted by idreamofdurian on 6/9/2008 at 08:42 TF writer

$30 is about 1000 Thai Baht and it would be challenging to get a nice room for that price during the Christmas/New Years holidays at the beaches in Krabi or Phuket.

Cambodia and Laos are dreams for budget travelers and you can easily get a basic but clean guesthouse room for $5 a night... However, I think to go a step up in quality is a pretty big price jump - you're either a $5/night backpacker or a $150/night package tourist!

Are you planning to go to Vietnam? I was there for Christmas and New Years in 2006... Nha Trang is a good place for either as there's the beach plus lots of bars and restaurants that will be having parties. Also, I was very pleasantly surprised by the accommodations in Vietnam - $10 - $15 frequently got me a really nice room with a king sized bed, TV, mini-bar, balcony, and bathtub. $30 should get you something even nicer! Also, most hotels in Vietnam doesn't seem to double their rates yet during the December holidays like Thailand does.

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.