Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Get off of the tourist trail!

Posted by mattocmd on 18/10/2008 at 12:58

Hello,

I found the following article entitled "How to get off the tourist trail" it is all about SE Asia. It has some pretty good ideas that I think you will all be interested in, suck as biking the Mekong River.

http://matadortrips.com/8get-off-the-tourist-trail-in-southeast-asia/

I would like to add to the list. Not just getting off of the tourist trail, but "relatively" unique experiences.

How about the following:
-fishing the freshwater rivers in SE Asia
-visiting a prison/prisoners in Thailand
-Homestays, especially in Laos
-Hanging out with the crowds protesting currently in Bangkok.

I am not sure if my list can all be considered "unique" or "off the tourist trail" but I am just trying to brainstorm as I anxiously awail Dec 31 (when I fly into BKK again)!!

#1 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365
 Send mattocmd a private message 

Posted by mattocmd on 18/10/2008 at 13:01

-volunteer a few days or weeks teaching children English in Cambodia

#2 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365
 Send mattocmd a private message 

Posted by aussieinbkk on 18/10/2008 at 22:29

Joining a protest you know nothing about is just plain stupid. Also dangerous, several protesters have been killed.

#3 aussieinbkk has been a member since 18/10/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 19/10/2008 at 03:30

Matt,

I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences after you get back from you trip, to see how your off-the-beaten-track ideas worked out for you.

I absolutely agree with aussieinbkk, however, that joining a protest that you know nothing about is dangerous. Please do not do that one. Cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 22/10/2008 at 19:36

Sorry Matt, but I also have to throw my hat into the ring and agree with Aussie and Exacto ... crowds of protestors, particularly in countries like Thailand, are best viewed from a distance.

Last time I tried this was during my very first trip to Asia in May of '92. Big protests were going on near KSR and, being pretty naive, I thought they were very interesting. During a "peaceful" student protest at Suan Luang, the military opened fire on the crowd and killed over 200 people. People scattered, then regrouped by the 10's of thousands and came back ready to start wiping the streets with the militia. They wanted blood! It was not a great place to be. It was terrifying!

The military knew they were in trouble and brought the King out to calm things down. It worked.

Stay away from crowds of protestors.

Your other suggestions are great, though, and I plan to follow through on the cycling one this December.

Cheers.

#5 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.