Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Money$$

Posted by TheBronze on 11/12/2008 at 07:55

As posted earlier, I am travelling from Apr.30 to June11 (backpacking) with one other to Thailand (Bangkok), Cambodia(Siem Reap, Phnom Penh), Vietnam (Saigon, Hanoi, Halong Bay), Laos (LP, Vang Vieng, Vientiane) and back to Southern Thailand. We will be travelling for 6weeks total and I was wondering what the best way to bring money down there is, or what is recommended for that timeframe. I was thinking putting it aside in my bank account and stopping at banks for cash advances on my Visa that I could pay off along the road in Internet Cafes, and bringing some Baht with me on the flight in. Or should I bring all cash and exchange depending which country I am in? Never travelled for longer than 2weeks before.
Second, how much would you recommend for Backpackers (we are both students.. so money isnt too plentiful) for the 6week timeframe. I was going to bring $4000.. We want to do a few tours and visit temples, but aside from that fairly basic accomodation and some money for a few drinks more nights than not ;)
Thanks in advance!

#1 TheBronze has been a member since 2/10/2008. Posts: 15

Posted by TheBronze on 11/12/2008 at 07:56

Oh and forgot - we are flying the leg between HCMC and Hanoi , than Hanoi to LP. Thanks!

#2 TheBronze has been a member since 2/10/2008. Posts: 15

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/12/2008 at 17:43 admin

This thread has a good summary on ways to manage your money. A lot of people do what you're planning, but bear in mind your local bank may have high fees for withdrawals by international ATM.

Given how much you're trying to cover, transport will be a substantial cost -- if you mean $4,000 a head for 6 weeks, then you'll be fine! between the two of you it's just shy of $50 a day, which should still be plenty.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.