Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Quitting smoking

Posted by mattocmd on 28/12/2008 at 07:06

I am down to 1 cig a day and now I am off to the worst area in the world for smokers.

Does anyone know if the pharmacies in Thailand and/or Cambodia sell the nicotine gum?

I did good almost quitting while I have been back to the USA for a month!

#1 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365

Posted by brucemoon on 29/12/2008 at 05:32

Matt

Maybe you could rethink the 'process'.

Factually, I'm told, the body is addicted to nicotine, and bodily 'need' for nicotine departs at about day 5. After that, the addiction is psychological.

All humans (from baby's onward) have a hand to mouth fetish (sort of explains why we love to eat).

This explains the psychological part of the 'addicition' for the cig: we are psychologically 'addicted' to the hand-mouth 'relationship'.

So, using 'replacements' or even going 'cold turkey' for the 5 days addresses the bodily addiction, but not the psychological aspect.

When I gave up, I went 'cold turkey' and in so doing the 5 days was just a mental exercise like hunger.

But, the ongoing 'desire' to put something to my mouth was the hardest aspect - especially when relaxing & having a beer (or 2, or 3, or ...).

What 'solved' it for me was having a ball point pen in my top pocket (where I'd previously kept my smokes) and when my hand went there, I'd pull out the pen and 'play' with it. Sometimes, I'd even chew on it, etc.

So, the 'lesson' here is to address the psychological part. That's the hardest part to flick!!

Cheers

#2 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/12/2008 at 05:47 admin

I'm not sure how much a pack of cigarettes is in the US, but in Australia they're around $14 -- while in Thailand they're about $2. What I'd suggest is each time you buy a $2 pack, go and give the other $12 away -- that should help you stop :-)

But in answer to your question, yes you'll be able to get the patches gum in chemists and what not in major centres.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mattocmd on 29/12/2008 at 07:38

I don't know much about the science but Somtam I agree with you. Here in the USA they are about $6 a pack and you can't smoke inside anywhere. In Thailand and Cambodia they will be cheap as dirt and I wont have to go outside in the cold to smoke one!

Ahhhhh will power, I need will power!!

#4 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365

Posted by mattocmd on 4/2/2009 at 11:44

If anyone needs to know now or in the future....

You can buy Nicomild (generic Nicorette quitting smoking gum) in Thailand at most pharmacies. Save yourself money and go with the generic!

I bought a box of 6 packs and haven't smoked in a few days now. I think it was like 400 baht or so but a small price to pay to quit smoking!

#5 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365

Posted by exacto on 4/2/2009 at 22:30

congratulations! good for you.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,659
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by brucemoon on 5/2/2009 at 06:56

Ahhhhh Matt, this might explain the tenor of some of your comments regarding Cambodian 'corruption'.

About 30 years ago I gave up smoking (I was then in hospital with a collapsed lung after major surgery).

There were no 'crutches' then!

I found that if I put a biro in my top pocket, which was where I kept my fags, whenever my hand went for a smoke, I pulled out the biro and 'played' with it instead.

I later learnt that part of the 'withdrawal' is psychological and that the 'surrogate' biro allowed me to do the hand-mouth thing without tobacco.

From long habit, I still have a biro in my top pocket.

cheers

#7 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by MADMAC on 14/6/2009 at 18:18

Congrats on quitting. Hold the course man. Terrible habit - killed my grandfather, a slow, painful death.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.