Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Traveling from northern Laos to Cambodia ?

Posted by tmcderm on 3/1/2009 at 03:25

Hi, Im going to be in Laos in early Feb. 09 and want to continue on to Cambodia without going back into Thailand. Im not planning on traveling through southern Laos due to lack of time. Is flying cheap and safe? Is their such a thing as a flight from northern Laos directly into Cambodia? Im not completely against the idea of traveling by bus but Im have no idea how long that would take and cost?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

#1 tmcderm has been a member since 16/12/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by chrispyrolls on 3/1/2009 at 04:13

Hi,

The link to the existing post on getting from Vientiane to Siem Reap may be useful

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/1168_Overland---Vientiane-to-Siem-Reap/0

Chris

#2 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by basho on 27/1/2009 at 16:30

Posted from within Vietnam.

The 4000 islands (Southern Laos) are worth the trip, but bring enough cash with you as there is not much in the way of ATM's.

We went Vientiane (overnight bus (8 hours))-> Pakse (private taxi bus (4 hours))-> 4000 Islands (general bus (long trip 28 hours with overnight stop in Phnom Penh))-> Siem Reap .

Crossing the border was easy and we did visa on border with a $5 surcharge for "weekend overtime".

Cost? Well I think it was about $20 for 4000 islands to Siem Reap not including the hostel on the stop over. Much cheaper than flying, plus it had a stop in Spiderville, which was mental.

The blog entry for this part of trip isn't up yet (my wife hasn't written it) but I can post it when she does.

Regards,

Basho

www.outsidecontext.com

#3 basho has been a member since 10/5/2008. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 24
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.