Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

purchasing prescription drugs

Posted by sebound on 21/3/2009 at 01:20

I am on five medications and will need to refill them at least 4 times while I am in SE asia. My plan is to be there for 5.5 months, going from thailand,malaysia,cambodia, loas to vietnam. Will there be any problem getting prescriptions filled in any of these countries? I would do it here but insurance only pays for one month at a time and paying cash here is expensive. Has anyone had experience with this? Any input will be appreciated.

#1 sebound has been a member since 21/3/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/3/2009 at 08:35 admin

I'm guessing here, as I've no idea what meds you're after -- but generally speaking, not "not-exotic" scripts, I wouldn't expect too many problems.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by sebound on 21/3/2009 at 18:53

Thanks for your reply. No exotics just heart meds.

#3 sebound has been a member since 21/3/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by brucemoon on 29/3/2009 at 18:37

sebound

I suggest you take your own supply.

Prescription drugs - especially heart drugs - serve specific purposes.

I'm from Australia + I've bought drugs in Malaysia, but not all 'brands' are available there. Often, the nearest product is a bit different.

In Vietnam, their drug 'regime is Russian based, and while some drugs are similar, others are quite different (as an aside, the Russian approach to drugs has some that are far better than the those in the English speaking world).

In Cambodia, there's not much around. If one is 'desperate' they'd possibly pick up in Siem Reap, but not much elswhere.

Thailand has some comparability with those in the English speaking world, but you may end up taking pot luck.

If your doctor has you on medication, the medication you need is a relatively small component (weight & size). So, I'd suggest 'be smart'.

cheers

#4 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by neosho on 30/3/2009 at 01:25

The drugs I take (2) are not available in Thailand. Although one can probably be subsitutited (sp) the other can't. I deal with a small pharmacy in the US and he gives me all I need for my travels and bills my insurance for the monthly amount so that it looks like I am still getting them on a monthly basis. If you go to Thailand take a day and go see a doctor and see what you can do. The cost is very nominal.

#5 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by neosho on 30/3/2009 at 01:27

One other note. Get a letter from you doctor in your home country stating he prescribed those drugs for you. I have never been asked but have one just in case.

#6 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.