Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Bangkok, Cambodia, and Laos in 4 weeks- itinerary advice?

Posted by curstilace on 9/4/2009 at 14:06

Hello. :)

I'm planning a trip for August-early September. This is a rough itinerary I've come up with. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Aug 6 Fly Osaka-Bangkok
Aug 7 Bangkok
Aug 8 Border crossing to Siem Reap
Aug 9-11 Siem Reap
Aug 12 Transit to Phnom Penh
Aug 13-14 Phnom Penh
Aug 15 Transit to Kampong Cham
Aug 16 Kampong Cham
Aug 17 Head to Laos
Aug 18-21 Don Dhet
Aug 22 Transit to Champasak
Aug 23-24 Champasak
Aug 25 Transit to Savannukhet
Aug 26-27 Savannukhet
Aug 28 Bus to Vientiane
Aug 29-30 Vientiane
Aug 31 Train to Bangkok
Sep 1-2 Bangkok
Sep 3 Fly back to Osaka

I'm not really too concerned with spending a lot of time in Bangkok; I'm just using it as a transit point.

Does this seem like a doable itinerary? Especially given that it's in the rainy season and the transportation might not be so reliable.

I'm open to any and all suggestions- the only things that I absolutely want to do are Angkor Wat and some chilling out in the 4000 Islands. And flying to and from Bangkok.

Thanks in advance!!!

#1 curstilace has been a member since 26/6/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/4/2009 at 07:45 admin

Hi,

I'd say that is totally doable. My only suggestion would be to consider swapping Savannakhet for Tha Khaek as from the latter you can visit the Kong Lo Cave which is pretty spectacular.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by brucemoon on 3/5/2009 at 06:25

curstilace

So much travel, so much time 'in transit', so little time planned to do anything, or see anything, or experience anything, or take a breath, or have your breath taken away, or, or, or, or!!

Why don't you save yourself a lot of effort and just do a 3 week trip on trains around Japan, it would be far cheaper, it would be a lot less problematic, you'll not be so worn out at the end, etc. etc. As for seeing 'things', you don't remember much when the 'vista' is flashing past your transport window at breakneck speed, or you're looking at the inside of a bedroom (in between).

The first thing I'd suggest is go look at:

https://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/less-is-more

Then look at:

https://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/dont-over-plan

And, if you haven't by then realised you've overplanned, try looking at your itinerary and asking yourself "what is it that I want to do while in SE Asia?"

Cheers

#3 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.