Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

4 weeks Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia - Itinerary advice

Posted by ibon on 19/5/2009 at 10:40

My husband and I are headed off to Vietnam/Laos and Cambodia at the end of the year for 4 weeks. Although we've travelled in Asia before it's our first time in SEA. We'll be flying between countries to save time. The idea with this trip was to hit a few highlights, and as such we'll be firmly on the beaten track. Any advice on whether it seems like there is too much/not enough time allocated certain places? Do we need more time for Pnomh Penh?

20th Dec Arrive Hanoi
21-23 Hanoi
24-25 Halong Bay
26 Hanoi
27 Hanoi - Luang Prabang
28-31 Luang Prabang
1-5 Jan Nong Kiaow/Muang Ngoi (return to LP on the 5th)
6 Luang Prabang - Siem Riep
7-11 Angkor Wat & surrounds
12 Bus to Pnomh Penh
13 PP
14 Depart PP am

#1 ibon has been a member since 19/5/2009. Posts: 12

Posted by brucemoon on 20/5/2009 at 11:14

As a citified journey, you seem to have been able to match opportunities with limited time.

A word of warning, travel in SE Asia is different to 'Asia' (assuming Japan, Korea, China) in that things don't always go like clockwork, or as they were described in a brochure. But, I suggest if you can handle that, you'll love. Most do.

For me, Halong Bay needs 2 nights on the water. That means a 3 day journey. There are many posts here on Travelfish about Halong Bay, the pitfalls, the great aspects, etc.

While you have allocated time in the Luang Prabang area, I'm wondering what you've scheduled (if anything).

Similarly, unless you know what you want to do in the Nong Kiaow/Muang Ngoi area, I'm wondering whether that may be too much time.

I suppose the reason I mention this about LP & up the Nam Ou, is that in contrast to the Vietnam & Cambodia 'legs', these appear very relaxed: which may just be your intention. Feedback here may help in offering alternate (possible) suggestions.

The Siem Reap option is about right, as is a day in PP.

#2 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by ibon on 21/5/2009 at 11:44

Thanks for your thoughts brucemoon. I've allocated another day to Hanoi, to allow for a 3 day trip out to Halong if that's what we decide. Am also now thinking of shortening the LP leg and adding our downtime onto the end of the trip, maybe somewhere like Kampot.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

#3 ibon has been a member since 19/5/2009. Posts: 12

Posted by alex16103 on 21/5/2009 at 21:12

Hi ibon,

If you can find a couple of days to head down to Sihanoukville in Cambodia for a bit of a relax at the end of your holiday I'd recommend it.

It's a 4 hour (from what I can remember) bus ride from PP, but the road is good (paid for by the Americans...), probably a bit easier to get to time wise than Kampot.

#4 alex16103 has been a member since 23/5/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.