Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

3 weeks Thailand/Indochina - entry/exit Bangkok

Posted by davetherave on 3/9/2009 at 04:05

Hi, it's my first posting time on this forum, and I can already see there is a wealth of experience and good advice out there. Hopefully you'll be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm planning a 3 week trip with the only constraint at the moment that it begins and ends in Bangkok. The trip is a honeymoon, although this does not mean we just want to spend 3 weeks on a beach (we live in Spain, so beaches are not in short supply).

My initial thought was Bangkok, Laos, Northern Vietnam, Cambodia, Bangkok (possibly a short beach stay at the end of the trip), but having seen advice from BruceMoon and others about not trying to pack in too much, slow down and experience, I'd like some guidance on feasible, "experiential" trips.

Possible highlights to fit in: Ha Long, and the train to Sapa, and Angkor Wat. So do you have any ideas about possible routes? If we had to reduce to only two countries, which would they be?

#1 davetherave has been a member since 3/9/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by davetherave on 3/9/2009 at 04:12

Ooops, forgot to mention, we are looking at starting around 15th Jan 2010, in case the weather influences the options...

#2 davetherave has been a member since 3/9/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by BruceMoon on 3/9/2009 at 05:49

Elsewhere I've indicated...

Plan for a week in a region/city/etc. Plan for one big city and two more rural (or non-urban) areas.

For me, stay in Thailand. As a honeymoon destination, you'll be joining countless others.

While beaches may not be your first attraction, there are plenty of island locations with (some) beach, snorkelling, fishing, etc., etc. As a honeymoon destination to just be the two of you without the hassle of a mad throng of people going about their business, I suggest you and your partner may find the location worth pursuing.

Clearly, Bangkok is a buzz. For a week (or so), there are a host of options in and around the city.

Perhaps a visit to the north may provide a balance and contrast.

When you explore your plans further, you might like to share them here.

Hope this helps.

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.