Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Posted by jenmoore on 4/9/2009 at 22:17

On the 8th October I am heading out to Bangkok. My plan is to travel around Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Loas and also Malaysia. I have given myself 12 weeks in which to travel, 5 of which I wish to spend exploring Thailand.

I understand the max time in Thailand is 30 days, so I was thinking would it be better to:

1) Travel northern thailand, laos, vietnam, cambodia, then come back into thailand and travel the southern section and then over to malaysia

2) OR to travel cambodia, vietnam, laos the travel down thailand and into Malaysia. However since i want to be in thailand for 5 weeks where would it then be best to travel across a border so that I dont expire the 30 day limit!

If somebody would be able to help me out with this that would be amasing!!!

thanks Jen :)

#1 jenmoore has been a member since 4/9/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by BruceMoon on 5/9/2009 at 06:10

For most 'entrants' flying into Thailand, they are provided a 30 day visa. If by land, it's 15 days.

So, without too much drama you can arrange your trip accordingly.

However, the Thai gov't is currently providing several other time length visa options without the 'normal' charge (eg. 60 days, etc.). So, if you think you'd like to get a (say) 60 day visa in advance, go talk to your nearest Thai embassy (look here ).

Also, you've listed a heap of nations you want to visit in that 12 weeks. My hunch is that unless you've done a heap of preparatory planning and are focussing on a couple of places in each country for a couple of weeks (or so), you may be biting off more than you can chew.

I wrote a piece to help those more fascinated by the wonderful options of SE Asia and less oriented to how to actually do it. Have a look at the post here .

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.