Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Cambodia, Laos and/or Vietnam

Posted by jclarkson on 13/9/2009 at 15:20

I realize hitting all three in only a few week is pretty much impossible. I would love some advice as to which two of the three to do and why, thanks.

#1 jclarkson has been a member since 10/9/2009. Posts: 35

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/9/2009 at 15:47 admin

Best place to start is the suggested itineraries section, that will help you to get an idea of how long it takes to get around etc. A sample four country trip is here:

Give a few a look over and come back with any questions.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,651
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by somsai on 13/9/2009 at 19:27

jclarkson I saw on another thread where you wrote, " while I appreciate seeing a nation's real culture, I do like to have a drink or two and chase some girls (skinny backpackers, or fat if I'm drunk enough" probably helpfull for folks to know what you're looking for, no worries, no appellate court to kick it up to here.

I'm probably not a very good source of info (old, monogamous, married for ever)but I'll do my best.

I notice every time at Vang Vien a lot of the age is early twenties to very early 30s weighted towards the younger end. Sometimes I'll see three or four young English/Swedish/Australian/etc women together that seem to have one objective in mind on vacation.

Also when my wife and I stayed at some bungaloes in Koh Samui in 03 we kept thinking we were the only ones staying there until we happened to be around in the aftenoon the third day and all the young folks started to wake up. They would go for a quick swim, do some ealy evening eating and touristing, then get down to serious clubbing until the sun came up.

One word of warning, and no it's not about protection, you say backpackerettes but you wouldn't be the first to head east and succumb to yellow fever, beware.

#3 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568
 Send somsai a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 13/9/2009 at 22:15

Man, Somsai and I are finally in agreement.

Avoid the backpackerettes, succumb... that's the only point we'd disagree on.

It's tough to advise where to go before we know what you want to do. Why are you coming out here? A lot easier to give intelligent advise. Otherwise I'd be saying "Well why aren't you going to Thailand - it's a lot nicer than the other three." But some people have specific reasons why they would prefer Laos or Cambodia or Vietnam. For ME Thailand is preferable, for others maybe somewhere else is. For someone who hasn't been here before, then the way to narrow that down is to look at why you want to come here.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by mattocmd on 13/9/2009 at 22:45

The last time I was in SE Asia I totally stuck to Travelfish's suggestions. Was in Koh Samui and stayed on the best beach (according to Travelfish).

What I realized that what Travelfish regards as the best beach is the one that would be best for a couple. Or someone a little older looking for quiet.

Now don't get me wrong, I still think Travelfish is the best and only use it when I travel to SE Asia. But you have to keep in mind that when travelfish says an area sucks (due to over-development, noise, etc.) that is usually the area where a young guy will have the best chance of meeting a nice young traveler girl.

#5 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365
 Send mattocmd a private message 

Posted by jclarkson on 14/9/2009 at 02:40

Thanks for the tips, with regards to Thailand, I was just there and loved it! I kept running into people that had been to Thailand, Cambodia and Laos (or at least one or two of them). They all absolutely loved it and it sounded like a great trip, so that's why I'm planning on heading there for winter break.

#6 jclarkson has been a member since 10/9/2009. Posts: 35

Posted by jclarkson on 14/9/2009 at 02:52

Sorry that should have said Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, and yea maybe I succumbed once or twice.

#7 jclarkson has been a member since 10/9/2009. Posts: 35

Posted by jclarkson on 14/9/2009 at 02:55

And mostly I'm there to party and take side trip or two off the beaten path and see the obligatory temple or two.

#8 jclarkson has been a member since 10/9/2009. Posts: 35

Posted by MADMAC on 14/9/2009 at 12:40

From what I've heard from people who've been there, Sihanoukville might be OK for you, Saigon - a bit pricey but fun, VV in Laos (which everyone likes to dump on)... unfortunately getting from one of these places to the next would be a pain.

#9 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.