Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary help

Posted by NewbieC on 15/9/2009 at 19:06

Hi

Myself and my other half are doing 70 days in SE Asia...Just wanted to get some ideas on itinerary... if you think we could skip some place/spend more time in some. We're keen for a mixed experience beaches, trekking, busy, quiet etc...and we don't mind flying a bit as some flights as so cheap and save you days (but I still need to look more into this)

Day 1-3 Bangkok
Day 3-9 South Thailand (Beach)

Day 10-15 South Laos (fly into)Bay 1000 islands
Day 16-17 Vietanne (maybe fly?)
Day 18-21 Viang Viang
Day 22-28 Luang Prabeng

Day 29-34 Head to Hanoi (fly into) then to SAPA
Day 34-38 Hanoi and Ha Long
Day 39-41 Hue (fly into)
Day 41-43 Hoi An
Day 44-46 Saigon (fly into)

Day 47-49 P Phen
Day 50-51 Sihanoukville
Day 52-54 Kampot
Day 55-57 Battambang
Day 58-60 Siam Riep
Day 61-62 Ko Kong

Day 63-70 South Thailand then home

Any tips / thoughts would be great

Thanks!!!

#1 NewbieC has been a member since 15/9/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/9/2009 at 19:13 admin

First question is what time of year is the trip -- as that will effect advice re southern Thai islands due to weather concerns.

Cheers!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by NewbieC on 15/9/2009 at 19:30

Hey

Feb to April - not sure on the order of the trip as we arrive and leave in Bangkok and we need to be in Vietnam for those days as meeting up with friends.

Thanks

#3 NewbieC has been a member since 15/9/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by mattocmd on 15/9/2009 at 19:37

Kampot
When you are in Kampot you should rent a scooter and ride out to Kep for the day (or even stay the night). I enjoyed the ride just make sure you have googles or sunglasses to protect your eyes from those dusty dirt roads!

Sihanoukville
Keep a loose schedule because you might want to stay there for more than one night. Especially if you're beach bums or you need to give the wallet a vacation (50 cent beers are the norm).

Battambang
Glad you included this city. Enjoy the chicken fetus eggs by the river during sunset!

#4 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/9/2009 at 20:08 admin

Ok, that helps - thanks.

I'd do the beginning beach section on Thailand's west coast (lots of islands to choose from), and I'd have the closing break on the east coast -- probably Ko Pha Ngan if you want to lay around, Ko Tao if you want to dive.

After Island break #1, unless you're really set on southern Laos, I'd drop it and instead see a bit of northern Thailand and then cross into Laos at the northern border crossing at Huay Xai from where you could go do the Gibbon Experience, then back to Huay Xai, boat down the river to Luang Prabang then either fly to Hanoi of south via Vang vieng to Vientiane and fly from there (to Hanoi).

Vietnam bit looks straightforward.

For Cambodia. I'd suggest in this order:
Phnom Penh -> Siem Reap -> battambang -> Sihanoukville -> Kampot/Kep -> Sihanoukville -> Ko Kong -> exit to Thailand. I suggets this route, mainly because Siem Reap to Ko Kong direct is a serious pain in the backside to do.

Once you're back in Thailand, down to the Gulf islands then Bangkok and exit!

Have fun!

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.