Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Best way to travel by land from Bangkok,Laos,Cambodia and Malaysia?

Posted by cij on 11/10/2009 at 01:23

For our 4 weeks of our holiday we want to travel from Thailand to Laos,Cambodia and Malaysia I know we wont have a lot of time in each place but was wondering if anyone knew the best route to take by land aside from airflight to each place? And travel time scales from each place to another?

if anyone has any info they could share, that would be very much appreciated.

thanks,

cij

#1 cij has been a member since 7/10/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by DLuek on 11/10/2009 at 10:59 TF writer

Was this posted in "competitions" because someone is holding a competition to see if it's possible to travel overland from Thailand to Laos to Cambodia (back to Thailand) to Malaysia in four weeks? Even if you spent ALL of your time in transport, is this possible?

I suggest you read a bunch of info on this site (i.e. itinerary suggestions, etc.), do a little re-thinking, and consider the facts that these are not small countries and the land transport systems are very slow (especially in Laos and Cambodia).

Once you do some research come back with some more specific questions.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/10/2009 at 08:31 admin

As per DLeuk, trying to cover Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia in four weeks without flying is a bit unrealistic as you'll be spending the majority of your trip travelling.

Take a look at the suggested itinerary section to get an idea of how long it takes to get around. If you still want to cover four countries then I'd suggest doing a lot of flying and look to use KL as your hub, flying all over the shop with AirAsia.

(I've moved this from competitions to a more relevant branch!)

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 12/10/2009 at 12:02

It is possible to travel by rail from Paris to Kamchatka, and I'm sure you can make it through these four countries too. The question is, why would you want to?

Fly to KL, Malaysia. Take the train to Bangkok (that should be a fun ride). From Bangkok take the train to Nong Khai (or Vientiane), then bus it down the Laotian panhandle, cross into Cambodia and fly out of Phnom Phen. You will see little and experience nothing but buses and trains and bus and train stations - but I suppose it's possible.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by cij on 12/10/2009 at 12:45

Hi,

Thank you Dluek,somtam200 and MADMAC for your reply.
Im doing some readings and asking some common friends too.
Dluek, im sorry if i posted it in competitions branch,i just joined the site and im not quite familiar yet. Somtam, thank you very much for moving my post in more relevant branch. Im checking airasia now also.
Thanks too MADMAC, I will check trains and buses or any transport going from one place to another.
I know that 4wks is not enough to see those countries, we will try to see if we can extend our days for another 4 weeks.

THANK YOU again guys, I do much appreciated it.

cij

#5 cij has been a member since 7/10/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 13/10/2009 at 23:03

"I know that 4wks is not enough to see those countries, we will try to see if we can extend our days for another 4 weeks."

Four months isn't enough to see those countries... I've been living in Thaland two years and I still need to see and learn a ton.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.