Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

6 country trip! Experienced traveller advice needed!

Posted by sl on 9/12/2009 at 06:01

Hey everyone! Love this website been looking through some of the forums. I just recently purchased my plane tickets and will be visiting the 6 following countries from March 3 to June 2: Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, China, Jordan and Egypt (in that order).

I am starting to plan out a bit of an itinerary for this trip and since I know you guys are experienced travellers, I would love your input!

Itinerary:

1)Fly into Bangkok.
2)Take a flight from BKK to Koh Samui where I would explore Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.
3)Fly back into BKK from Koh Samui.
4)From Bangkok, I would travel up through Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai.
5)From Chiang Mai, I take the bus to Chiang Khong and then cross the border into Laos. I am debating stopping by Chiang Rai on the way, would it merit an extra stop according to you guys, or should I go straight to Chiang Khong from Chiang Mai??
6)Take the slow boat from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang through Pakbeng.
7)Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng.
8)Vang Vieng - Vientiane .
9)From Vientiane I will either fly or take the bus to Hanoi , what do you suggest? (I know that the bus is apparently terrible, but I'm still debating it).
10)In Vietnam I am just planning on spending a few days around Hanoi and Halong Bay and then bussing or taking the train to Nanning, China. Would you suggest I spend more time in Vietnam? I don't want to travel southward there because I just don't have the time if I want to get to China, Jordan and Egypt.

If you guys know of any sidetrips or worthy stops on the way during my itinerary, let's hear em'! Or if you think I should change something about it. I appreciate all your help you guys are awesome!

#1 sl has been a member since 5/12/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/12/2009 at 11:10 admin

Yup I'd break the trip in Chiang Rai.

For Vientiane to hanoi it is a hard call -- it the best part of a day and a half by bus or an hour on a plane. Depends on your budget and time constraints really. But if you're not planning on breaking up the journey, and can afford the flight, I'd fly.

More time in Vietnam -- well why not? ;-) As you;'re in the region, Sapa or Mai Chau would be obvious additions.

How long are you planning on spending from arrival in Thailand till departure to China?

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.