Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam)

Posted by snowowl on 22/2/2010 at 20:38

Hi, I'm (26 year old girl) flying from Tokyo to South East Asia the 16th of March. The idea was to fly directly from Tokyo to Bangkok and start the trip there. I have from the 16th of March until approximetaly the 19th of April (almost 5 weeks).
I have been looking at a lot of itineraries and I am so confused. I would love to be able to go to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (and possibly Vietnam) but the problem is that I only have 5 weeks and I have to choose the places carefully, because I don’t want to spend the entire time on a bus or on a train.

I am new at this and I’m travelling solo (which is both scary and exciting at the same time), so it would be great if you could share your wisdom with me and give me feedback, I would really appreciate it.

I would like to get back to Thailand and end the trip on one of the islands. I was wondering what would be the best way to get there from Vietnam?
I haven’t bought the flightticket home yet but I was thinking about flying from Bangkok to London. Any other suggestions on how or where I should end the trip and from where I should fly back to England?

This is just a rough itinerary, and I was hoping you guys could tell me which places I should definetaly see so I know what to skip.

Thailand – Laos – Cambodia – Vietnam – (Back to Thailand)

1. Bangkok
2. Kanchanaburi
3. Sukhotahai
4. Chiang Mai
5. Houayxai to louang Phaband – boat trip down the Mekong River
6. Vientiane
7. Savannakhet
8. Si Phan Don
9. Kratie
10. (Angkor)
11. Phnom Penh
12. Sihanoukville
13. Ho Chi Minh City
14. Mekong Delta
15. Phu Quoc
16. Mui Ne
17. Nha Trang
18. Hoi An
19. Hue
20. Hanoi
21. Ha Long Bay – unesco
22. Sa Pa
23. Back to Thailand somehow?

I would love to hear some new ideas!
Thank you oh so much☺

#1 snowowl has been a member since 22/2/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by nikicolemarie on 23/2/2010 at 11:07

Hi -
Funny, I feel like I could have wrote almost the exact same post. The only difference, I'm 27 and I'll be flying to Bangkok April 1st leaving the 30th.

I am interested in any suggestions other travellers have as well. I think the most important thing I have learned in researching this trip is to be really open and flexible to let the adventure happen, not to overplan.

Safe travels!

#2 nikicolemarie has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by tinoh on 26/2/2010 at 14:40

Well this is a lot of traveling in little time. I think you must have seen the following page on this website?
To save some time I would suggest skipping 2/3 and going straight from bangkok to chang mai by plane. Not because they are less interesting places, but this leg is relativly cheap and easy to do by plane. Go from Chang Mai through chang Rai to the Laos Border. I think the White temple in Chang Rai is really worth to make a short stop. Also do the Hue - Hanoi leg by plane. If you have the money it might be worth looking in to the possiblity to fly from Luang Prabang or vientiane to pakse

#3 tinoh has been a member since 13/2/2010. Posts: 40

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.