Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Female travelling alone in Indonesia-safe or not?

Posted by ElaineMcG on 24/11/2010 at 18:50

Hey everyone,
I am debating whether or not to visit Indonesia early next year as part of my travels. As a 26 year old female travelling alone I have been advised to check into safety issues when travelling Indonesia. Just wondering has anybody had any experiences with this? Is there particular places to avoid or particular areas that are safer than others, is it worth it?? All/any advice would be gladly accepted!

#1 ElaineMcG has been a member since 16/11/2010. Posts: 10
 Website 

Posted by mooball on 25/11/2010 at 19:57 TF writer

I've asked a number of solo female travellers I've met recently that have been through Java and all have reported no problems. I'm not sure how representative this is...

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by Tennouji on 30/11/2010 at 19:11

See this thread https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/indonesia/12033_traveling-sumatra-alone

It is not so much "safety" as much as harrassment. Are you attractive? Do men usually give you a second glance at home? If so, imagine this magnified by 1000 times. All the women I met who were alone spoke of hassle, all those with a boyfriend/husband were having a great time!

I even met one 50-something half Indonesian woman whose dream of re-discovering the country of her childhood was being spoiled by 25 year olds trying to get her to sleep with them. Not as much fun as it sounds, actually!

#3 Tennouji has been a member since 22/9/2007. Location: Japan. Posts: 132
 Send Tennouji a private message 

Posted by cisdeluca on 17/1/2011 at 12:52

I am a 28 year old female living in Indonesia - have been all over Bali, Gili Islands, Sabu, Rote and West Timor with no problems. Bali and the Gilis are quite touristy, so foreigners are not rare and you will attract less attention. The last 3 places I mentioned (eastern Indo) are all less popular, therefore I did get more attention - just stares, never felt unsafe.

#4 cisdeluca has been a member since 17/1/2011. Posts: 13

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.