Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

good place to stay for 2_3 months

Posted by bobytwo on 1/12/2010 at 09:38

I'm searching for a place where i can spend 2-3 months (December - February) that has charming & atmospheric architecture is surrounded by beautiful nature; offers delicious, affordable cuisine; and just an overall pleasant and enjoyable atmosphere and weather.(not looking for diving_surfing etc)
is Indonesia budget friendly?i don't care which country as long as is cheap and could stay 2_3 months and just be relax.
any advice about Indonesia or any other country would be great.

#1 bobytwo has been a member since 9/10/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by glomer on 1/12/2010 at 10:56

In spite of the recent ridiculousness in connection with Eat Pray Love (Gag), I would still say Ubud, Bali is a strong candidate, particularly if you rent a house outside of town.

#2 glomer has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 86
 Send glomer a private message 

Posted by eastwest on 1/12/2010 at 12:15

Ubud has my vote as well

Luang Prabang (Laos) would make a good candidate as well if you can find a house on the outskirts. In town, houses (I don't know any but just assume) and food are a bit on the expensive side but still ok and probably on par with Ubud.

also depends on what type of architecture you're interested in.

#3 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by bobytwo on 2/12/2010 at 05:26

Thanks for replying. I really appreciate your responses.

#4 bobytwo has been a member since 9/10/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by mooball on 3/12/2010 at 20:27 TF writer

My immediate thought before seeing the other two replies was also Ubud because it really does have a good mix of culture, quiet & relaxed atmosphere and still plenty of western facilities. Sure, the centre of town with its traffic can be a drag, but it's easy to get into a good routine there. You don't even have to stay outside of town to feel as if you're part of a small village...

#5 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by eastwest on 4/12/2010 at 10:48

Yeah, and the added bonus is that there's also plenty of things to do on the island for daytrips if you want a little change of scenery during those months. That's a bit harder in Luang Prabang.

distant 3rd and 4th would be Kampot (Cambodia) and Dalat (Vietnam)
Both have beautiful nature scenery around them and are pleasant little towns. Also less expensive as the first two since they are not prime tourist destinations but it also limits the food options while still excellent.
Architecture and "wandering around" quality is however far less and no comparison to first two.

Cambodia does have some interesting architecture from Molyvann, the greatest Khmer architect with some very interesting Khmer modernist buildings from the '60s. Not architecture that appeals to the (modern) masses but for professional architects very interesting and at the moment there is a project by american architects to document his buildings and rewriting blue-prints that got lost during KR era.

#6 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by molleydean on 19/1/2011 at 22:06

Sabang (weh island) is a beautiful island... :)

#7 molleydean has been a member since 19/1/2011. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.