Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Timor-Leste, advice needed

Posted by Sparts on 7/12/2010 at 06:38

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've visited here but now I finally have a trip back to SE Asia "planned".
I say planned, but it's not much of a plan so far! In truth there really isn't much I can plan for at the moment as my schedule will be dictated by others, brief explanation to follow!

Basically I hope this thread will grow arms and legs but hoped that someone out there could help me with information on Timor-Leste, or East Timor as it's commonly known.

So, I will be visiting the country for a very short stay, only perhaps 5 or 6 days in the middle of next year. I will be visiting mainly Ainaro and Manhufahi districts in tthe company of a well known charity.

To cut a long story short I'm trying to get a head start here. So what can I expect when I'm there. Are there any websites that could be helpful? Does anyone have any tales of their travels over there? How does it compare to Cambodia/Thailand etc.

Your help would be appreciated.

#1 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 169
 Send Sparts a private message   Where has Sparts been? 

Posted by sammib on 7/12/2010 at 19:19

Hmm, I was there going back four years, so likely of course things have changed, but I found East Timor to be quite different in feel to the rest of Southeast Asia. It really has a Pacific island atmosphere to it, rather than the hustle and bustle you get further west in Asia.

I only travelled to Ermera from Dili to look at some coffee plantations. Roads were rough but reasonable (compared to Southeast Asia) and in general, the poverty pretty serious. Crime wise, I probably didn't feel as safe as I do in places like Bangkok but maybe similar to Phnom Penh in that there are lots of small arms/machetes etc around. I would prepare just as if you were going to the hinterlands of Cambodia or Laos in terms of first aid kits, etc, and expect to enjoy it just as much too (that is, a LOT -- it's beautiful.)

#2 sammib has been a member since 9/2/2004. Posts: 9
 Send sammib a private message 

Posted by mooball on 7/12/2010 at 20:50 TF writer

Tony from It's Good Overseas has some blog posts up of his recent adventure in Timor Leste. Sounds like a great place!

#3 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by Sparts on 5/1/2011 at 19:00

Thanks very much for your help. I'll make sure I take a look at that blog once I get my internet connection back.

#4 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 169
 Send Sparts a private message   Where has Sparts been? 

Posted by peter27 on 17/1/2011 at 19:06

Quiteinformative blog shared by 'mooball' if one is visiting East Timor.

#5 peter27 has been a member since 18/11/2010. Posts: 31
 Send peter27 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.