Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

What is a cheap ticket to Indo? When should I buy a ticket?

Posted by hawaiirunner on 9/3/2011 at 04:18

Aloha,

I am new to this forum and website. My boyfriend and I are planning a 3 week trip to Indonesia in August. We are hoping to leave around August 1st and be back around August 27th. I have been looking at tickets online and the cheapest I have found is about $1100 through China Southern. I am not for sure if I should go ahead and buy this ticket or wait to see if prices drop. Any suggestions? Is it too early to buy a ticket? Is this a good price? Will prices drop? The only problem with the ticket is that there is an 11 hour layover in China...any way to avoid really long layovers (it takes away a whole day away from an already short trip to Indonesia)?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
HH

#1 hawaiirunner has been a member since 4/3/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/3/2011 at 06:32 admin

From where? If somewhere in the States, look into cheap fares to KL, Singapore or Bangkok and then a cheap flight to Bali (assumming that is where you are headed). The LCCs (AirAsia, Jetstar, Tiger Airways) are generally cheapest bought a long way in advance - I've flown Bali Bangkok for $100 return in the past. I had to fly Bali to Bangkok a couple of weeks ago at very short notice and cheapest fare I could get was US$380 with THAI.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by hawaiirunner on 9/3/2011 at 06:55

I will be flying from either Los Angeles (most likely), Dallas/Fort Worth or Honolulu

#3 hawaiirunner has been a member since 4/3/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/3/2011 at 08:15 admin

Ok that helps. I'd be looking at getting a roundtrip to Kuala Lumpur for the long haul sector and do KL to Bali/Jakarta/wherever in Indo with AirAsia -- of the cheap carriers I'd actually be willing to fly, AirAsia has the best coverage into Indonesia.

Cheers

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by goonistik on 9/3/2011 at 18:46

Another option is to go from LAX to Incheon (South Korea) and than on to Denpasar (Bali). It also gives you the option to break your trip into more manageable chunks.

LAX to DPS via Korean Air is at least 30 hours of travel time. Yikes!

#5 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 562
 Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by amz155 on 21/3/2011 at 08:20

Any advice if looking for a fare from Toronto? Cathay Pacific currently has a sale that ends March 31, 2011. But the cheapest fare includes an overnight stop over in Hong Kong which means we waste travel time and have to sleep in a hotel and spend $ on that too.

If we go to Indo, we will be going to Sulawesi and Flores. I can fly either KL or DPS to Makassar. Will fly to Flores via Bali. Will likely try to fly back from Mataram.

I've read elsewhere that the cheap asian airlines are cheapest within 2-3 weeks of travel date.

#6 amz155 has been a member since 30/8/2006. Posts: 111

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.