Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Trekking Mt Rinjani and visitng Gili

Posted by DShan on 12/5/2011 at 08:42

Hi, just wondering if anyone has done the trek up Mt Rinjani and can recommend any good trekking companies? Or can I book with guesthouses in Lombok? Planning to trek Mt Rinjani early June (I'm going alone, but hoping to find people to trek together with), but not sure if there are cheaper alternatives out there. The ones I've asked go for USD175 per pax for a 3D2N trek.
Also, any good recommendations on guesthouses to stay the night before the trek? Going on a budget trip, so hopefully to find something that is cheap.
Also thinking of dropping by Gili either before or after the trek for a couple of days. What is the cheapest way to get across to Gili island and any accomo to recommend? Hoping to find a place with more travellers (backpackers)

#1 DShan has been a member since 9/7/2006. Posts: 17

Posted by eik362 on 6/6/2012 at 23:38

Hi there! Just wondering if you ended up trekking Mt Rinjani? I'm really interested to climb it sometime in June/July.

#2 eik362 has been a member since 10/4/2012. Location: Australia. Posts: 8
 Send eik362 a private message 

Posted by DShan on 10/6/2012 at 06:13

Nope i didn't. But please let me know if you managed to do so and share your experiences and how u went about booking it.

Thanks

#3 DShan has been a member since 9/7/2006. Posts: 17

Posted by marktraveler on 25/8/2012 at 09:18

I just did the amazing 3 days 2 nights rinjani trip / trekking. beautiful view and the guides were very helpful. the service i had was excellent. I can defenately recommend to do the track with lombok rinjani trekking by hardy kruger! good fun and a good price. especially if you call of contact him directly! I've known hardy for about a week and he has good humor and likes to play tabeltennis. please challange hem ;-)..

i got his number if you want of use his website to take a look

+62 8175750585 Normal 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

http://lombok-trekking.com/rinjani-summit-trekking-package-03-days-02-nights.html

enjoy your holyday

greets mark from holland

#4 marktraveler has been a member since 25/8/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by josevaldo on 21/10/2016 at 10:53

If you look online and at all of the guide sites you will find that there appear to be an endless number of routes/days/options for climbing, so I will clear that up:

There is only one main trail on the mountain. This trail has two access points Sembalun and Senaru. The best place to start is Sembalun which is where the park station is. You must always check in at the park station and get a mountain tag.

Almost all of the climbs follow the same route and see the same features but can be completed quicker or slower:

1 day:
-hike to rim (moderate), or hike to summit (challenging) and back to Sembalun

3 day/2 night:
-hike to rim camp, sleep
-hike to summit, lake, hot spring, opposite rim camp, sleep
-hike down to Senaru

4 day/ 3 night:
-hike to rim camp, sleep
-hike to summit, lake, hot spring, sleep
-hike to opposite rim camp, sleep
-hike down to Senaru

The whole hike is challenging and you should be in good to excellent shape or this hike will be a challenge and possibly not enjoyable.

The summit climb which takes 3-4 hours starts at 2am and is extremely challenging and somewhat dangerous. The steepness and the condition of the path, which is loose stone on volcanic sand/ash, make very tiring. The path is flanked on both sides with steep drop offs either of which could cause serious injury or death. The summit climb is doable but is no joke.

Scenery is incredible with about half of the hike and both rim cam sites being in or above the clouds. Mornings are clear and offer amazing views.
If would like to do this hiking tour we suggested to go with
http://www.joutrekking.com

#5 josevaldo has been a member since 21/10/2016. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.