Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Vaccinations for Java and Bali?

Posted by travelinchen on 15/7/2011 at 19:42

Now, I know it may be a bit late for this (we#re leaving in ten days), but would you recommend any vaccinations for Java, Bali and Gili Islands? So, we're basically planning a rather beaten track -- Yogya, Malang, Mt. Bromo, Ijen crater, coffee plantations around there, over to Bali, Ubud and around, then Gili islands.

Would be great to hear from you!

#1 travelinchen has been a member since 23/1/2011. Posts: 67

Posted by busylizzy on 16/7/2011 at 06:13

I would suggest that they are not required for the areas that you are going to. If you wanted to be extra careful, tetanus is always good to have (no matter where you go) and maybe Hep A - but honestly, for those places I really wouldn't bother.

Just be aware that there is an outbreak of rabies in Bali but as I understand it, it's mostly in the upper villages of the island. You are unlikely to come across an rabid dogs - but I wouldn't go walking up to any strays either with the intention of petting it. Likewise, keep away from the nasty monkeys who swarm the temple areas. They are also carriers of rabies, although I haven't heard of them being rabid in Bali. But in spite of the cute faces they have nasty fangs!

If it were me,given the areas that you mention, I wouldn't bother with any vacs.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by screamin on 23/7/2011 at 12:45

I'm with busylizzy I wouldn't worry about vaccinations but just make sure your tetanus is up to date . I was in Bali in March 2011 and no worries with rabies at all , but in saying that like busylizzy said give the dogs and monkeys a wide berth .
I find it better to go the monkey forest in Ubud towards the end of the day when the monkeys are all worn out and full after all the tourists have been .

#3 screamin has been a member since 5/1/2011. Location: Australia. Posts: 10
 Send screamin a private message   Where has screamin been?   Website   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by travelinchen on 23/7/2011 at 15:15

I actually have no idea whether our tetanus vaccinations are still up to date. I left my vaccination passport at my mum's who's on holiday herself right now. Moreover, monday -- the day we fly -- is the last day we could get any vaccinations. I don't know whether they give you a tetanus shot if you don't know whether you had one or not? And as for hepatitis A, should we get it anyway on monday?

#4 travelinchen has been a member since 23/1/2011. Posts: 67

Posted by TheodoraZ on 25/7/2011 at 14:35

North of 130 Balinese have died of rabies in the last couple of years, so I'd recommend you get your shots: otherwise, if you get bitten, it's a month-long course, and your insurance won't cover the cost. You may have left it too late, though, as it's a series of jabs.

Be aware, also, that there's a risk of malaria in parts of East Java, and you might want to consider antimalarials. You can buy doxy in Indonesia over the counter for pennies.

I'd get a tetanus shot and a hep A shot to be on the safe side.

Theodora
http://travelswithanineyearold.com

#5 TheodoraZ has been a member since 25/7/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by travelinchen on 25/7/2011 at 15:09

thanks, we're flying in three hours from now now. Will be too late for the Hep shots (and rabies).
As for the rabies -- my insurance back home would certainly cover the costs for it, but hopefully it just won't come to it. We'll avoid all kind of animals.

Good to know we can get doxy over in indonesia.

Do you think we are taking quite a risk in not having any vaccination nor antimalaria tablets?

#6 travelinchen has been a member since 23/1/2011. Posts: 67

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.