Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Magic Mushrooms?

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 3/9/2011 at 13:25

So I thought Indonesia was supposed to be ultra-tough on drugs. How come I see signs in plain site with things like "Yes, we have @#$%ing magic mushrooms here!" And can buy them over the counter at nearly every restaurant and bar in Kuta?

Are "magic mushrooms" not hallucinogenic/illicit drugs?

#1 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Posted by swag on 3/9/2011 at 14:26

yes they are hallucinogenic but indo seems to turn a blind eye in certain places to this. Biggest problem I have heard is you don't know how strong the concoction is. When we were on Gili Trawangan in June this year they are advertised everywhere. On the dive boat loads of gap year kids talking about how f@@ed up they were going to get. Then I hear some is so mild you wouldn't even know you had some. Then some dive DM's said this is the best place on the island, evidently one of their dive buddies asked for a super strong shake and had to get shipped to Lombok as a gibbering mess, after having it.
Personally is not something I would take but hey it's out there, And if that floats your boat try it. I'd ask around before hand to get a handle on that sort of stuff as a warning.
cheers

#2 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/9/2011 at 18:28 admin

They're not illegal in Indonesia, or at least they're in some kind of opaque area. They're often available in warungs well off the tourist trail -- it's not just a tourist thing.

Yes, they can really mess with your head, can be mildly hallucinogenic -- handle with care!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,566
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 4/9/2011 at 14:17

I'll just stick to ham and pineapple on my pizza - hold the (magic) mushrooms.

#4 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.