Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Flying in from Canada to Indonesia

Posted by Rukus on 21/4/2012 at 15:04

Hello travelers, I am planning a trip quiete soon within the next 2 months to go and travel SEA for 6 months or so. I'm coming from Canada and want to start south and work my way north west. So my basic question is what would be the ideal place to get a plane into in Indonesia? I'm seeing Bali everywere and that seems like a good place to start, but any experiance / knowledge passed on would be fantastic, thanks alot.

#1 Rukus has been a member since 28/10/2011. Posts: 22
 Send Rukus a private message 

Posted by tyler on 21/4/2012 at 16:26

I've flown into Denpasar the past two years. Both times I flew Vancouver - Taipei - Denpasar on EVA airlines. Great D class seats!
If you've never been to SEA before Bali is a great place to start as it is very popular with Western tourists so you'll be able to find some comforts from home to combat the culture shock. This location also gives you the ability to travel onward to either Java or Sulawesi. And your next to the Gilis as well.
You do have other choices like Jakarta and Medan but Bali, in my opinion, is the best option of the three in regards to the start of your trip. It is an easy place to get around, lots of English is spoken, great food, diving, beaches... Keep in mind that domestic flights are cheap so you can easily fly from Denpasar to another location depending on the direction you decide to take. (Lion Air, Garuda Air, AirAsia...)
Some advice - avoid staying in Denpasar!
Have fun.

#2 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Send tyler a private message   Where has tyler been? 

Posted by Rukus on 21/4/2012 at 16:37

Ah that's perfect that's exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you very much.

Now as for direction of travel, I could go up by Singapore and Malaysia to Thailand but I'd love to see the Phillipeans the Banaue Rice Terraces and the chocolate hills look to good to pass up seeing those sights. Has anybody done this? and is it viable or would that be very expensive to swing over to the Philippians and then west to the mainland? by the looks of it there would be a few couple hour long plane rides which would be costly no?

#3 Rukus has been a member since 28/10/2011. Posts: 22

Posted by altmtl on 21/4/2012 at 18:59

Depending what Canadian city you're flying from.... BK or HK are the cheapest and from there AirAisa. Japan Airlines may be worth checking out.

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 995
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by goonistik on 22/4/2012 at 07:25

It is possible to find flights from Canada-Manila that cost about the the same as Canada-BKK or Canada-HKG. The advantage of Canada-BKK/HK is that there are more flights available so there are more opportunities to get cheap flights.

The cost of flying on a budget airline from Manila to another SEA city like SG, KL, BKK is about $100-150.

#5 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by mooball on 25/4/2012 at 06:55 TF writer

Definitely fly into Bali. From there you can either choose to see a few of the eastern islands such as Lombok and Flores or just head west and north through Java and Sumatra, then to Singapore/Malaysia and onto Thailand. A flight to the Philippines would be from whichever city has the cheapest flights. I'd say it's probably going to be KL in which case you'd just get a return flight Manila and then continue your journey northwards once you get back to KL.

#6 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by Rukus on 13/6/2012 at 15:01

Flights into Bali are looking expensive, $1000USD one way is cheapest i'm finding from vancouver to denpasar. even bangkok is 800ish, anybody know any tips about flights?

I found flights to europe (london) for $400usd maybe i can fly there and then to indonesia for cheaper then a straight flight from canada hah.

but yea $1000USD is that about regular or any tips/ tricks for a cheaper flight would be nice, if anybody has experiance with this I would like to know. thanks

#7 Rukus has been a member since 28/10/2011. Posts: 22

Posted by tyler on 13/6/2012 at 21:21

$1000 sounds about right...

#8 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257

Posted by goonistik on 13/6/2012 at 22:37

Rukus,

Try to look at flying into Singapore and than taking Jet Star to DPS. Depending on the travel dates, I've seen the Vancouver-SG fare dip down to CA$585 (August 2012). The SG-DPS fare will be about $100, again it depends on your travel dates.

The problem is that the data of some budget airlines like Jetstar are not in the search engines/booking websites. So it makes it more difficult to find these cheaper combos.

#9 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by Rukus on 28/6/2012 at 22:11

As for Visa's the visa on arrival will give me 30 and then I can extend by another 30 if I am not mistaken, but it also says it requires a round-trip plane ticket. I'm flying in on a one way ticket, so does this part of it really matter? Or I see there is a social-cultural visa that is good for 60 days but I don't exactly meet those requirements either, since I'm just back packing through the country, (not visiting friends/family or visiting educational institutes ect) I have no idea how solid these rules are or if I will be fine getting a cultural visa just for backpack travel through the country. Any expertise would be greatly appreciated.

#10 Rukus has been a member since 28/10/2011. Posts: 22

Posted by mooball on 29/6/2012 at 03:45 TF writer

My advice would be to just get the 60 day tourist visa in advance from your nearest Indonesian Embassy. Should cost about $60.

#11 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by tyler on 30/6/2012 at 10:34

The 60 day visa is your best bet and should be east enough to get before you leave Canada - if you still have the time. If your pressed for time then get the 30 day on arrival and extend it while in Indonesia. I have done this 2 x in Denpasar and once in Surabaya - it will take at least 3 business days. As for proof of flying out of Indonesia - I had to produce a ticket out of Indonesia each time I renewed my visa. You could prebook the cheapest flight to KL or Singapore before you leave Canada...This way you have a flight out and if it doesn't mesh with your timeline then you can change it or even walk away from it if you have to get a new ticket. I have seen flights on AirAsia from Surabaya to KL for around 20-30$US...if booked far enough in advance...

#12 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257

Posted by Rukus on 30/6/2012 at 12:42

alright awesome, thanks a lot for the information I feel a bit more confident on my plans now.

#13 Rukus has been a member since 28/10/2011. Posts: 22

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.