Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Accommodation - how much?

Posted by ben130892 on 17/5/2012 at 10:56

I will soon be leaving for Indonesia and will be travelling for 60 days across the months of June, July and August and am thus wandering how much, roughly, accommodation, or in fact general living, will cost in these months. I am happy slumming it in low budget hostels as long as I have the basics of a shower and a bed! Also more than happy eating local street food and often have a dine as they do attitude.

I plan to travel from Jakarta to Gili Islands, potentially on to Flores dependent on time.

Many thanks for any help given,

Ben.

#1 ben130892 has been a member since 17/3/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by tyler on 17/5/2012 at 19:00

If you are happy in a low budget hostel then you shouldn't have to pay more than few US dollars. You'll find losmen costing roughly $5-10 and cheaper hotels (single, air, fan, private bathroom) roughly $10-15.
I usually paid $1-3(with iced tea) when eating at local stalls. I can't remember paying more than $1-2 (sometimes less) for a scooter. My experience only lies within Java and Bali. The Gili Islands will be your most expensive stop. If you want to avoid a 17 hour night bus (not a bad idea!) try Garuda and Lion Air for domestic flights. And the train in Java in comfortable if you get the 1st class...the regular cars are packed with people and get a bit stuffy.
Have a great trip!

#2 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Send tyler a private message   Where has tyler been? 

Posted by ben130892 on 20/5/2012 at 05:49

Thanks for your reply! Yeh very happy living on a low budget and often find it a lot more fun doing so! I will probably be looking at trains most places, did a 30 hour night bus from Vientiane (Laos) to Hanoi (Vietnam) and am definitely reluctant to avoid that experience again if possible!!!

Out of interest, if you could recommend one spot not to miss, what would it be?

Cheers

#3 ben130892 has been a member since 17/3/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by tyler on 20/5/2012 at 10:22

That all depends on what you want to do... I would say Mt. Bromo and Borobudur are two of the more visited places and could be on most people's do-not-miss list.
For myself - seeing what is left of the villages adjacent to Mt. Merapi. The locals there are rebuilding after the eruption and you'll be able to wander around and talk with the families that are still there. It helps immensely if you can speak some Bahasa as most locals have a very limited ability to speak English - if at all.

#4 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Send tyler a private message   Where has tyler been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.