Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

2 week trip end of july or 1st week aug. Will ramadan affect?

Posted by redurn on 5/7/2012 at 01:43

Hi all,

I've spent a few days researching Indonesia for our annual holiday. My husband and I were planning to go to Indonesia for the first time by the end of July or 1st week Aug. While we are still confused about what to see in the limited time, I came across the fact that Ramadan this year is Jul 20 - Aug 18. From what I read, across Indonesia, life will be affected requiring us to book in advance. And it looks like finding food will become a problem with restaurants shutting in the day and me being a vegetarian. We want to experience Indonesia at its best, so are these concerns valid or being in a place like Bali or Java, ramadan will not affect us? Alternatively, should we postpone the trip to September or reconsider our destination?

If you think it's not a big deal, then some advice will be appreciated about what to cover to get an essence of the country - a mix of commercial and offbeat would do. We want to experience culture, be able to relax, go for one good trek and experience a beach (not very big fans of water sports).

Thank you in advance,

#1 redurn has been a member since 16/6/2012. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.