Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Day trip from Kuta

Posted by antoniamitchell on 20/9/2012 at 01:10

Hi. My parents (in their early 70s) have a 24 hour layover in Bali in December.

They've been booked into a hotel on the beach in South Kuta, but it would be a shame if all they saw of Bali was package tourists. Can anyone suggest a day trip or half-day trip that would show them another side?

They normally use taxis to get around when traveling, and because of their ages aren't up for anything too active, like climbing a volcano, and aren't looking for a party vibe. They've got pretty broad interests - they like scenery (from jungles and rice paddies to beaches), historical sites, temples, culture, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#1 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 499
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by mooball on 21/9/2012 at 03:56 TF writer

My advice would simply for them to either negotiate a fixed price with a taxi/driver on the side of the road for a half day trip or to get a bluebird taxi and just let the meter run. Maximum cost for running the meter for half a day would probably be around $50. You could get the same trip for about $25 (250,000 rupiah) if you negotiate. Maybe even cheaper.

Sugestions? Head up to Ubud monkey forest, see some rice terraces, some temples around Ubud. That's about it really. That's half a day there.

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 433
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by tyler on 21/9/2012 at 09:29

They could consider Tanah Lot as well. As far as I can remember it is about 45 minute drive (depending on traffic and holidays) from Kuta. Beautiful scenery.

#3 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by antoniamitchell on 21/9/2012 at 13:24

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll pass along both ideas.

#4 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 499
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by enigmatic on 28/9/2012 at 06:55

Every travel agent in Kuta offers a variety of $35pp AC car daytrips taking in temples and beautiful scenery and not involving any walking. They could save money by taking a copy of the suggested itinerary then hiring a taxi for the day themselves...

#5 enigmatic has been a member since 14/4/2011. Posts: 84

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.