Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

AirAsia introduce MANDATORY checked bag fee for domestic Indonesian flights

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/12/2012 at 04:37 admin

I only found this out when I tried to book a domestic flight in Indonesia today with Southeast Asian low cost carrier AirAsia that there is now a MANDATORY checked luggage fee of 40,000 rupiah per passenger. This fee is payable regardless of if you have to check bags or not.

When I quizzed AirAsia on Twitter about it, they said:

"@travelfish Hi,pls note mandatory 15kg checked baggage apply to all Indonesia domestic flights. Details http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do?id=583"

MANDATORY

On that page it reads in part:

"Why is Indonesia AirAsia including checked baggageweight of 15kg for domestic flights?
We have realized that many guests end up paying for baggage at the airport at a higher rate than if they had prebooked it online. To save you cost and make travel cheaper than ever we have now made it a mandatory add-on feature for all domestic travel bookings."

So I guess this is a good deal if you were one who tended to check bags, but for the rest of us, and, dare I say, most of us, given the amount of carry on I see some people lugging on. this is a crappy deal.

AirAsia was recently fined A$200,000 in Australia for some pretty dodgy fare/marketing practises and I'm sure they're not trying this one on down under, but it's sad to see the airline taking advantage of lax consumer laws and enforcement where they can (in this case in Indonesia) to grab an extra $4 every flight.

If you want another 40,000 rupiah AirAsia, increase your airfare by 40,000 rupiah -- I wouldn't have even noticed that! But don't treat your passengers like morons to be ripped off at every opportunity.

If I want to check a bag, I'm happy to pay to check it, but charging me a mandatory fee for doing something I have no intention of doing leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

AirAsia was for years a major advertiser on Travelfish and despite them not renewing, I still fly them regularly and find them to be (generally) an excellent value low cost airline.

But this stinks more than an overhead locker full of durian.

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mooball on 31/12/2012 at 02:10 TF writer

Agree 100% with this. I had the same problem just the other day and just refused to complete the booking at that point. I ended up scouring the web for a better deal and went with Lion Air instead.

This mandatory baggage fee is a crappy crappy money grab and people in Indonesia are up in arms about it. First we're told that they're charging for checked baggage in order to correctly reflect the costs of said checked baggage and to give those not checking baggage a better deal. Then we're told that they're charging for checked baggage even if you don't check baggage to save you money.

Absolute bastards.

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by squarethecircle on 31/12/2012 at 08:05

This sort of "customer service" is why I refuse to use AirAsia. If you buy cheap you get the same in service. It's usually well worth paying an extra 20-30% to get treated as a valued customer rather than simply a body to be moved around.

#3 squarethecircle has been a member since 19/10/2011. Posts: 133

Posted by setiadyw on 3/1/2013 at 00:59

Yes, indeed it has been implemented from 8 November 2012 on.
It is great move and really suit Indonesian travel appetite. But yeah, I don't agree that it suits other type of travellers (a.k.a. foreigner etc.)

#4 setiadyw has been a member since 20/12/2012. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.