Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Being a student in Indonesia and travel afterwards

Posted by aprilshine on 27/3/2013 at 21:12

Apologies if this has been asked already, but with multiple internet searches I have not been able to find a similar situation to answer my question and put my mind at ease...

OK, so I will be a student for 6 weeks in Indonesia (Java) coming up in a few months (I have a letter from the sponsor in Indonesia and all that). I understand that I will likely be applying for a 60-day Social-Cultural visa, as this seems to be the type of visa students get.

However, my question is this: for the remaining 2 weeks after my schooling is complete, am I legally allowed to be a "tourist" using the Social-Cultural visa? OR, do I have to leave the country and re-enter in order to void my Social-Cultural visa in order to gain a 30 day tourist visa?

Thank you...

#1 aprilshine has been a member since 27/3/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by captainbkk on 29/3/2013 at 08:14

You do not need to apologize- I have never ever seen this Q before. The 1st thing I ever had to learn about computers etc: IF noone has bothered to put it in-you will not be able to get it out.For Indo this also holds: once in-passed immigration, noone will check, make fuss, or redirect you.
For a SC visa you need support/letters from your school before you even start applying.
Idiot ideas about ''legal'' are just that.
As alternative-you can simply eihter get the normal tourist visa for 60 days- or the payonentry for 30 and extend when in Indo-but this will need visits to korrupsi-stuffed offices. Airlines may also get nasty when you do not have flite out in 30 days for the latter.

#2 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.