Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Indonesia to Australia by boat

Posted by afarewell2barms on 20/8/2013 at 02:56

Yes I know it's a common question - I've read all I can find. This post is not so much asking whether or not it's possible (I know it is with a bit of luck) I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any boats leaving anytime soon - obviously any other general constructive suggestions are welcome.

Me and my GF are doing the old UK to Oz overland trip. We're currently in Thailand and are heading South towards Indonesia with the idea that that's the best place to hitch a ride on private vessel. I'm well aware that it's unlikely we'll be able to do it, and that there is a huge amount of luck involved - but we're going to try our utmost....

We're willing to graft for our passage, and we're also willing to pay. Or a combination of working and paying.

Please note: I know about the freighter from Singapore - it's too expensive... I know that pretty much our only hope is likely to be as crew or passenger on a private vessel from somewhere like Bali or TImor... And yes, I've registered on findacrew....

Also, please don't comment if it's just to say: "fly, its cheaper, safer, etc" - not helpful

Cheers in advance if you take the time to read/reply,

#1 afarewell2barms has been a member since 20/8/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 6
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/8/2013 at 04:06 admin

Not an answer to your question, but I received an email from you asking me to deactivate your account, then this post popped up, so I'm assuming the deactivate thing was in error. If not let me know and I'll nuke it again.

We live in Bali, see very very few yachts coming up from Oz -- I'd guess Timor would be a better bet, but that is a guess. In Bali obviously head down to Benoa harbour first thing to see if you're lucky.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by afarewell2barms on 27/8/2013 at 23:51

Cheers for the reply - good to here from someone living there.

About the account, I accidentally created 2, as I thought there was a problem when I couldnt log into the first. Not sure what happend - I've been on some frustratingly slow connections.

Anyway, I created account afarewelltobarm, then afarewell2barms. As this is the afarewell2barms account, you can delete the other one.

Sorry for the mix up

Cheers

#3 afarewell2barms has been a member since 20/8/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 6
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by afron on 29/8/2013 at 21:21

Hi afarewell...,

Did you get my reply on Thorn Tree about the French traveller I met who got a free ride on a Sail Komodo boat from Darwin to a Alor? He had found it on a forum.

#4 afron has been a member since 3/8/2013. Location: Austria. Posts: 19

Posted by afarewell2barms on 30/8/2013 at 06:20

Hi Afron

I've just had a look and found it now... thanks a lot for that info, much appreciated, I'll give it a whirl. Lets hope we get lucky...

#5 afarewell2barms has been a member since 20/8/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 6
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.