Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Protests re: Australians

Posted by Jade78 on 22/11/2013 at 17:04

Hi everyone,

I am heading from Australia to Bali in two days. I am a female who is planning to travel around Bali, perhaps Lombok and also Java. I understand there are protests in Jakarta regarding the 'Spying Scandal' of the Australian Government on the Indonesia government. I am becoming slightly nervous about my visit and am worried it will put me in danger or change the way in which locals interact with/perceive me. Perhaps I am being extra-cautious however it would be great to her if there opinion, especially those living in relevant areas.

Jade

#1 Jade78 has been a member since 22/11/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by exacto on 22/11/2013 at 20:26

Hi Jade,

It looks like there were demonstrations today at your embassy in Jakarta, but overall your Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is just recommending using a high degree of caution while travelling in Indonesia, mostly from non-specific and unrelated terrorist threats. You can read the details here:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Indonesia

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 23/11/2013 at 00:20

Tell everyone you're American.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Jade78 on 23/11/2013 at 16:07

I did check out SmartTraveller. I guess I was hoping for people living in these areas by thank you for your reply

MADMAC, given the context I do not know whether you are being humorous or serious?

#4 Jade78 has been a member since 22/11/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 24/11/2013 at 00:28

Seriously, nobody is going to really give a **** where you're from. They ask as a way to make conversation. Stay away from Islamic psychos and you'll be fine.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by busylizzy on 24/11/2013 at 04:52

The Balinese will be more interested in your money than what is going on in Jakarta ! Bali is crawling with Aussies at the moment (I'm here now). Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it.

I highly doubt that it will be an issue in Jakarta either. I wouldn't let it stop me. Tell them you're from NZ (not an American!).

#6 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by tezza on 26/11/2013 at 00:43

The Balinese don't particularly like the Javanese - and they abhor anything the latter do to harm tourism.
The Balinese want your money - go.

#7 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.