Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Getting from Lake Toba to Banyuwangi and then on to Bali.

Posted by Arikara1985 on 11/4/2014 at 02:30

Going to be there in September to start my 10-12 month trip of the region. Got a month to spend in Indonesia. Can't really find a whole lot of information on this though. What's my best way to get from Lake Toba to Banyuwangi? Will I have to backtrack to Medan or is there a way to go straight there from Parapat? If I can go overland I'd rather do that unless flying is better choice.

From there I plan to go to Bali and the Gili islands before heading to Flores for Komodo Island. I'm guessing I can take a ferry from Banyuwangi and then bus it the rest of the way to Bali? Any tips for getting from Bali to Flores as well?

Current rough itinerary.

September 5th - fly into Medan from Singapore, Leave right away for Bukit Lawang
Plan to spend a few days here and do a 2 or 3 day trek in Gunung Leuser National Park.

Lake Toba - 7 days or so

Banyuwangi - couple days, mainly to see Ijen Crater

Bali - 5 to 7 days, maybe spend a day or 2 in Ubud

Gili Islands - not sure, may ever skip to stay longer in Flores/Komodo or Bali

Flores/Komodo - rest of days on visa

Hopefully from there catch a flight to Kuala Lumpur.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Open to anything, only just started my research on it.

#1 Arikara1985 has been a member since 14/2/2013. Posts: 32

Posted by evanscotthbc on 14/4/2014 at 00:20

I would advise you go see Yogyakarta (sp?)...

I'm going with my girlfriend in two weeks... Jakarta - Yogyakarta - Bali - Gili...

I'll fill you in when I get back.

Here is our travel blog:

#2 evanscotthbc has been a member since 14/4/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by captainbkk on 16/4/2014 at 06:41

daft easy, FLY. INdo has scores of cheap airlines, like LIONair or AirAsia and many others (mostly only with very bad, if at all sites and bookable when there). There sure are direct flites Medan-Surabaya-with direct bus to Bali via/and/or till Banyu.YOu should have told if you wanted only this link or visit more sites-like evans suggests. If more info wanted-get that old-fashioned thing GUIDEbook.
You can still go by bus, but its 2500 kms or so and will take 3-4 nites.
ANS and ALS-and some lesser ones too, Buscompanies go over the Trans Sumatera Highway and the ferry and end in Jakarta. LInks to their mian bus from every main town. Cross that most ugly and hassled city JKT to BASterminal other side for east Jawa and find scores of buses to all major towns and also via ferry to Bali and even Lombok. Again that guidebook has the details.
There are several boats with vists to the Komodo varans doing Bali-Flores in 7 days. Coming back is often more quiet. Perama is the best one-highest standd and highest price and very used to the idiosyncrasies of westerners orang2 barat/putih.

#3 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by Arikara1985 on 16/4/2014 at 19:28

Thanks for info. Trying to avoid flying as much as possible but if it is that long by bus then screw it. Have a guidebook but it doesn't give the greatest of directions (Lonely Planet Shoestring one).

#4 Arikara1985 has been a member since 14/2/2013. Posts: 32

Posted by mooball on 22/4/2014 at 21:37 TF writer

You have to fly. Doing buses from the top of Sumatra to the east of Java would not be practical. Fly from Medan to Surabaya. While you're in the area, you'd be mad to miss Bromo! You'll be flying from Bali to KL in all likelihood as there isn't a lot of choice in that part of the world.

Also, you might be better off spending a few less days in Lake Toba and using that time in Java.

#5 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 435
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.