Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Best places to surf in Bali?

Posted by ChristD on 15/4/2014 at 08:16

Hey guys,

I'm headed out to Bali later on this year (October) and plan to stay there for just over 2 weeks and then continue on with my travels. I was hoping to learn to surf over there and was wondering where the best places to go were? I've also never been surfing before if that makes a difference.

Thanks

#1 ChristD has been a member since 25/1/2014. Posts: 14

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/4/2014 at 03:51 admin

Most choose to learn in the Kuta and Legian area as that is where there are a tonne of schools and the conditions are suited to those learning. I wrote a story about learning to surf in Bali a coupla years ago - may be of interest,

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Travis_Chia on 16/4/2014 at 05:31

Hi,
Bali and the surrounding islands have some great surfing beaches, with beach breaks for beginners and huge barrel. Among those beaches, Kuta beach is one of the most famous beach to enjoy over there, which is the easiest and most beginner friendly beach to try your surfing skills. The beach is close to the nightlife and tourist center of Legian, hence the beach is always crowded.

#3 Travis_Chia has been a member since 14/4/2014. Posts: 10

Posted by ChristD on 18/4/2014 at 13:08

Somtam - Your learning to surf story was very informative, thank you! I don't suppose if you know if the surf instructor you used is still available? He sounds very good!

Also, how long would you guys suggest is a good amount of time to spend in Bali? I'm in the process of booking flights out of Bali and I have a choice of staying either 2 or 3 weeks before that.

#4 ChristD has been a member since 25/1/2014. Posts: 14

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/5/2014 at 06:58 admin

Ahh I don't know if he is still working for them -- I'd suggest dropping them a line (story has their website) and ask after him. If you have the time, Bali certainly worth 3 weeks - tho depends on your budget, interests etc. Most first time visitors give it 2-3 weeks.

More questions, ask away :-)

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by ChristD on 7/5/2014 at 16:34

Thanks for getting back to me, I'll have to check it out!

I booked my flights out of Bali just last week so I'll be there for a total of 17 days. How much on average did you budget per day (taking in to account activities you were doing etc)? I just want to get a rough idea of how much I'll have left for when I make my way to Oz.

#6 ChristD has been a member since 25/1/2014. Posts: 14

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/5/2014 at 03:26 admin

I live here, so on a different kinda budget. Your main cost will be accommodation, booze ads up too. If you're spending some in the touristic areas (south Bali and Ubud) then $30 a day is a starting point. If you drink a lot or doing a lot of activities, or hiring a motorbike or something, then more.

#7 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710

Posted by HamishHealys on 14/5/2014 at 17:13

There are some nice surfing beaches around Bali.If you find it is not to your liking and you can afford the time and the funds.You should maybe try Siargao in the Philippines. If my memory serves me right it is just a couple of hours flight from Vietnam.

#8 HamishHealys has been a member since 26/4/2014. Location: Australia. Posts: 13
 Facebook  

Posted by clayeee on 22/5/2014 at 23:00

Try Batu Boloong beach in the village of Canggu. Its a beginners spot and the place is much more relaxed then in Kuta or Legian. There's board rentals at the carpark and u can get cheap private lessons on the spot too.

If going to a school is what u're looking for, i highly recommend Bali Green Surf in Jalan Drupadi. The instructors are really nice and fun to hang out with both in and out of the water.

Enjoy!

#9 clayeee has been a member since 21/5/2014. Location: Singapore. Posts: 9
 Send clayeee a private message   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.