Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Local Cuisine Query

Posted by meerkats on 17/7/2014 at 08:51

Hi All

I just have a query regarding local cuisine. I would like to try the local fruit bat (kalong) meat, and was wondering which restaurant or market would serve this in North Sulawesi region?

Thanks All

#1 meerkats has been a member since 17/7/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by captainbkk on 19/7/2014 at 06:06

this is so specific for that region (only), that you simply have to ask when there-that wont be hard. Just like what about anyone did in the times before this www-reinforcing my belief it makes people lazy thinkers.The old faithful-the MOON Bill Dalton INDO handbook may have some hints-but thats from 15 years ago or so.

#2 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by busylizzy on 19/7/2014 at 12:25

You could check out Tomohon Market, near Manado. I haven't been as I had no interest in this rather gruesome market, but I understand they have a large range of unusual meats: roast dog, bats, rats, cats, monkeys..... Google it and you will find out more. Can't recall, but maybe Somtam did a feature article on this site when he was in Sulawesi last year.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/7/2014 at 17:37 admin

I only a very brief time in northern Sulawesi and didn't get around to eating bats unfortunately. A quick Google gave me this piece on Manadonese cuisine, which covers the bats, though unfortunately the restaurant recommendations are specific to Jakarta. Still, it's a starting point!

Good luck!

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by gecktrek on 19/7/2014 at 18:40

although I haven't visited sulawesi in a while, i concur with busylizzy that tomohon in the hills outside of monado would be the best place to find kelelawar, from my experience it was sold everywhere in north sumatra too...

#5 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 112
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.