Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Lombok to Sumbawa Ferry

Posted by laverysean on 4/11/2014 at 22:05

Hi Guys

Thinking about picking up a car in lombok, surfing, then putting same car onto the Lombok - Sumbawa ferry, surfing, then reversing the whole process.

Possible? Issues? Tips for success ? Ideas?

Thanks heaps
Sean

#1 laverysean has been a member since 13/6/2013. Posts: 16

Posted by noddytravel on 30/11/2014 at 06:19

I think it is certainly doable, i took the ferry last year and there were cars, bikes etc on it. should be no problems.

the bus and transport system in Sumbawa is ... well, let's just say it's 'unique'!! having your own transport would be awesome, i'll be taking my bike next trip.

let us know how you go

#2 noddytravel has been a member since 18/2/2014. Location: Australia. Posts: 25

Posted by busylizzy on 30/11/2014 at 13:52

I seem to recall that there is a problem in taking rental cars from one island to another. You'll need to check this out a bit more to confirm it. Maybe get in touch with some car companies in Lombok if you can find an email address...

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,152

Posted by captainbkk on 1/12/2014 at 01:56

Assuming its all OK by the hire-car-firm, its pretty straightforward and all neatly in the LP guidebook.
From bali-Padangbai, ferries go about ev 2 hrs, though you may have to wait if the Q is long for a later one. Thats roll on/off. Across Lombok reasonably good road. There are more ferries, but this is the only one for cars. Same situation for onw. to Sumbawa, but less often/organised.
In fact there are still a lot of big buses doing these runs too, all the way from JKT.

#4 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by laverysean on 3/1/2015 at 01:55

Thanks guys

I've done a bit of research ( I leave Jan 6th '15) and have found the following.

1. It would seem that putting a car on the ferry from Bali to anywhere else requires a letter from the owner but once you get off Bali and want to put the car on a ferry to Sumbawa you don't need a letter.
2. The weather at the moment is poo, so I'm going to save time and effort, fly to Lombok from Bali then attempt to get a car at the airport that I can drive to Sumbawa.
3. I contacted a few companies in Lombok who said it was cool to take the car to Sumbawa, but they were going to charge me $5 US per day to do so. They will bring the car to the airport for an additional $10 US. I think that 35 US per day is a bit steep, so I'll wing it when I get there I reckon and see what I can organise.... I think 300 000IDR will do it, especially if I take the car for 10 days.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it all pans out.

Sean

#5 laverysean has been a member since 13/6/2013. Posts: 16

Posted by busylizzy on 3/1/2015 at 08:59

That's good info to know, thanks for posting back.

I might see you there in Sumbawa. I'm arriving around 15th (flying into Sumbawa Besar, also saving time!) and heading down western coast for about 10 days. :-)

#6 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,152

Posted by laverysean on 3/1/2015 at 16:38

Hey Busylizzy,

Keep an eye out for a tall middle aged bald guy and a surly 17 year old:)

Happy Travels!

Sean

#7 laverysean has been a member since 13/6/2013. Posts: 16

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/1/2015 at 15:24 admin

Late note on this, we're just back from another Lombok trip and as with other trips, we took our car with us.

Our car is rented by the month, and all you need is your rego certificate (a laminated piece or yellowish paper which all cars should have) to get on the Bali Lombok slow boat. We have never been asked for a letter from the owner - but we have been asked for the rego papers each time we have done this. I guess a rental company could say no, but our guy said "no problem - just don't lock the keys in the car!"

It isn't cheap - around 800,000 rupiah for an Avanza one way, though is much less for a motorbike, but is well worth it in my opinion if it fits with your budget. You will need an international license etc.

Enjoy Sumbawa!

#8 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by laverysean on 25/1/2015 at 19:39

Hi Guys,
I've just returned from the Bali-Lombok-Sumbawa trip and all went very well.

We flew from Bali to Lombok, about $30 one way. Landed in Praya then bussed it into Senggiigi as we thought this would give us a bit more choice when hiring a car. We eventually hired a Suzuki APV for 250 000 per day. For a late model people mover we thought that this was excellent value.
Set off the next day and drove across Lombok ( lazy, no rush drive) without issue (usual lunatic bus/truck drivers) and arrived at Labuan Lombok. 6000 rp to get into the port area then 475 000 to put us and the car on the ferry. No paper work was needed at any stage to get the car on the ferry:) I was a bit nervous about driving it onto the boat, but it was all very well organised and I didn't rip the bumper off the Suzuki. That bit came later.

The Lombok/Sumbawa ferry is the usual RORO deal with plenty of people selling food/drinks/cigs/fruit etc. Because the trip is only about an hour and a half, the food sellers stay on the boat. This is NOT the case between Lombok and Bali (took us 7 hours) because the trip potentially so long. Paid 5000 rp (about fifty cents) for one of those rice triange thingies that are wrapped in brown grease proof paper and are so, so tasty.

Got to Poto Tano (http://www.panoramio.com/photo/81780718 ) and rolled off with no problems. I had an immediate feeling of relief that we had made is so far. Poto Tano is small, dusty and very, very hot. He turned right at the big green sign and drove on an excellent, almost brand new road towards Taliwang. There was NO traffic, NO people and no stress, apart from the hundreds of goats and cows on the roadside all the way down the coast. Stopped in Taliwang in search of Taliwang Chicken, but alas, there was none to be found. Ironic really. We nosed around Taliwang for a while although there is not much to see here. Well, nothing actually, but the people were friendly and up for a chat if you are prepared to bust out your best/worst bahasa Indonesian.

We continues south through Maluk. Maluk is the service town for the massive Newmont mine just down the road. Apart from a magnificent white sand beach, some local restaurants and a few hotels, Maluk is best avoided. The twn itself is surrounded by hills which seems to prevent any breeze getting in, making it an incredibly hot place during the day. I wasn't a fan.

Sekongkang was our ultimate destination and thats where we headed. If you want solitude, uncrowded waves and breathtakingly beautiful beaches, then this is the place for you. Accommodation is fairly basic ( fan rooms in most places) but it is FAR from the maddening crowd. I felt as if we had dropped off the end of the world, and I loved it.....

#9 laverysean has been a member since 13/6/2013. Posts: 16

Posted by mitchtravel66 on 19/6/2016 at 12:46

hello,
traveling to Lombok airport.
I'd like to know about getting from the Airport to the ferry to catch the ferry to Sumbawa Benete port?
Can anyone give advice on what service, maybe a bus or taxi to the ferry port?
thank you

#10 mitchtravel66 has been a member since 19/6/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/6/2016 at 16:21 admin

The ferry leaves Lombok for Maluk / Benete at 10am and 4:15pm daily and takes a 1.5-2 hours depending on weather etc.

To get there from Praya airport the most straightforward way would be taxi (there are loads at the airport) - not sure on cost sorry - would guess somewhere around the 100-200k mark.

#11 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 21/6/2016 at 22:39

based on personal experience from Lombok to Sumbawa there is no issue at all as laverysean experiences by car, only from Bali to Lombok has issue, mostly the owner of the car wouldn't let you have the original ID of the car to across to Lombok, except you know very well the owner of the car rental (secure reason).

The best tips always check the wills is good and full tank of gasoline before leaving. Keep with you the contact of the car rental owner, in case if the police stop you and asking of the papers, it's better let the owner speak to the police to explain your situation.

#12 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71

Posted by mitchtravel66 on 30/6/2016 at 03:24

hello,
traveling to Lombok airport.
I'd like to know about getting from the Airport to the ferry to catch the ferry to Sumbawa Benete port?
Can anyone give advice on what service, maybe a bus or taxi to the ferry port?
thank you

#13 mitchtravel66 has been a member since 19/6/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 3/7/2016 at 06:45

Hello mitchtravel66,

Based on somtam2000 posted above, he explain already to get from Praya airport to Maluk/Benete port. Another tips, there no public bus direct from airport yet, and the only chance of the fastest way is by taxi from the airport.
Use the blue bird taxi with meters and the maximum will charge you around 250.000 rupiah. Also you could bargain with the local drivers out side of airport that offers transport services.

#14 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71

Posted by tombali on 22/12/2016 at 10:49

Hi guys,planning on taking my motorbike from Bali to Sumbawa,anyone knows if u can take motorbikes on the Lombok-Benete/Maluk ferry ?

#15 tombali has been a member since 10/5/2006. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/12/2016 at 16:44 admin

Hi,

No vehicles on the fast boat as far as I know - people only. If you have a bike you'll need to go via Poto Tano (on the slow ferry).

Cheers

#16 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.