Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Important: Visa free entry to Indonesia

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/7/2015 at 05:36 admin

Hi all,

Just brining attention to a change we have just made on our Indonesia visa page regarding the visa-free entry. Apparently the visa is only valid for entry AND EXIT via the approved ports.

So if you enter at Bali (an approved port) and try to leave from Lombok (not approved) you could well have problems. Anecdotal traveller reports are suggesting the need to pay a bribe may be required (ex Yogya), or you may just be refused exit (ex Lombok) and need to change plans and use an approved exit port.

Ludicrous we know.

So if your plans are loose, get a visa beforehand - this visa free entry is just not worth the hassle.

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,044
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/8/2015 at 07:18 admin

Just bumping this up top.

A friend who has just arrived in West Timor (from Bali) has told me there were quite a few backpackers in Kupang (in West Timor) who had arrived in Bali on a visa-free-arrival and are now being refused exit from Indonesia to East Timor because the crossing is not one of the approved exit points for those on visa-free-arrival stamps.

They're being sent back to Bali (at their own cost) to exit via an approved port.

Think carefully before going for the visa free arrival.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,044
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by SBE on 25/8/2015 at 08:12

I am and it's a total PITA. As if Bali doesn't get enough tourists already! And the new airport sux big time... tourist trap, taxi mafia, and very long queues at immigration. I think it's my least favourite airport in all Indonesia. Even Gorontalo is better. Occasional cows on the runway but at least they have a Damri bus service.

Maybe the govt is doing this because they want the majority of tourists to use the airports with the highest international departure taxes?

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/9/2015 at 15:47 admin

Supposedly this is being expanded to more countries (including Australia) in October. I'll file that firmly in the I'll believe it when I see it drawer. And, as pointed out above, as it stands, the visa free arrival is very much a mixed bag.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,044

Posted by TobyVan on 10/9/2015 at 04:41

HI Sontam, et all. Thanks for the updates, they were very useful.

Currently in Bali (from Yogya), the link below is good, up to date info on the arrival/departure taxes and taxi info in addition to your own efforts. The details about prices on some of the TF forum posts about the new monopoly airport taxi get-up currently operating out of both domestic and international is slightly out of date.

For the record i got a car (from domestic terminal) to Ubud for IDR250 000 from a tout I bargained with OUTSIDE the airport funnel into their claws. The airport monopoly will charge you at least 300 000 to Ubud and then apparently slug you 10% extra for a 'toll' road that costs only 10 000 whilst in the car. I heard this from 2 fellow travellers. The toll only applies if you take that road out of Denpasar and lasts approximately 20 kms. It can be worth it if theres heavy traffic in DP, but normally not.

Also, FYI, all departure taxes (from anywhere) must be in the airline ticket price now.

http://www.balistoreluggage.com/blog/bali-airport-taxi-new-2015-rates/

Cheers.

#5 TobyVan has been a member since 20/6/2015. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.