Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Bali solo backpacking trip

Posted by hemmingway on 20/8/2015 at 20:46

Hey bali experts. Will be travelling alone to Bali from Nov. 26 - Dec. 14. Would just like your thoughts on my rough itinerary:

Legian - Medewi - Permuteran - Lovina - Munduk - Amed - Nusa Penida - Tirta Gangga - Kuta

Then I'm meeting with family to spend a couple of days in Ubud.

Some things I'm doing/want to do:
-Renting a scooter for about 3 weeks in Kuta then taking it around the island, I have a license don't worry.
-Surf in Legian and Medewi.
-Spending at least a night in those destinations listed above.
-Hike around Munduk and Tirta Gangga. Trekking in Nusa Penida.
-Climb Mt. Agung.
-Eat at good and not so expensive restaurants around South Bali. Try indonesian food at the best affordable warungs.
-Dolphin Watching in Lovina
-Take an SSI open water diving course in Amed, dive in Manta Point Nusa Penida
-Catch cultural performances
-Experience local authentic local life
-Snorkel Menjangan Island

Some questions:
-Can I take a motorbike on the ferry/boat from PadangBai/Sanur to Nusa Penida
-How long should I stay in Nusa Penida?
-Is it better (cheaper) to book your accomodation online (agoda,booking.com) than to just turn up and ask for rooms down there?
-Is it worth the price to go to Menjangan Island?
-Where are the best surf sports for beginners at this time of the month?
-Any secret locations (beaches, waterfalls, temples, foodplaces) that are not so touristy that you know of?

Those are what I can think of for now. Suggestions would be highly appreciated and thanks for reading through all of that.

Looking forward to your comments guys.

Cheers,
Doc

#1 hemmingway has been a member since 17/8/2015. Posts: 11

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/8/2015 at 07:14 admin

Apols for the late reply.

Some slight reordering:
I'd go Pemuteran to Munduk then Lovina as the turnoff to Munduk is before Lovina, and, Amed then Tirta Gangga then Penida as the Penida speedboat goes from Sanur , which is way past Tirta Gangga.

Other thoughts:
*) At which stage are you planning on doing the Agung climb? None of the towns you mention are really hubs for the hike.
*) The dive schools in Amed won't take you to Penida -- well they might I guess, but I don;t think that is a regular trip on offer from there -- they all want to go to the Liberty Wreck at Tulamben, so maybe check that with them,

Your questions:
*) I've only taken the speedboat from Sanur to Penida, which you def cannot put a bike on, but there is a slow boat that goes there as well, I'm guessing, you can take it on that -- but I'm not sure of this. You can easily hire a bike on Penida, so that may be less hassle?
*) I'd give Penida at least 3-4 days
*) Booking online is a crapshoot. Some places will be cheaper, some more expensive, some can't be booked online at all. In Penida's case, I'd just show up. Very few people go there.
*) Yes Menjangan is worth the dosh, but if you are unlucky with wind and currents the rubbish (plastic bags) in the water can be mind-blowing.
*) Legian is good for learning year round. Medewi has some beach breaks suitable for beginners.

Secret spots? Get a bike and go!

Cheers!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by hemmingway on 25/8/2015 at 06:42

Hey Somtam,

Excellent and informative reply as always. So I reckon it should look like this:
Legian - Medewi - Permuteran - Munduk - Lovina - Amed - Tirta Gangga - Nusa Penida - Kuta

The plan is to use Amed as my base to organize the climb for Mt. Agung. Is this a good idea?
And with the diving course, I only plan to do it around the Amed/Tulamben area. I'm keen on doing a dive on Manta Point, Nusa Penida though as I'd really want to see some trippy manta rays haha.

By the way, does the itinerary look rushed or is it fine?

#3 hemmingway has been a member since 17/8/2015. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/8/2015 at 06:52 admin

It's a lot of ground to cover in your time, but doable. Ditching Pemuteran would save you some time... and if you're just learning to surf, Medewi may be a bit of overkill, but your initial plan is possible.

Yes you can approach Agung from Amed , sort out a guide beforehand either through your guesthouse or an agent - I'd guess they'd want to leave from Amed around 10:30/11pm... I can personally recommend Nyoman (T: 0852 3854 8412) - no email - as a guide. He is a no BS operator and unlike some guides will not prepare you a banana pancake at the summit! He should be able to organise transport from Amed if you need it.

In case you haven't seen it, more on climb prep here.

I've not dived from Amed/Tulamben and not really up for Penida, not sure how likely you are to see mantas around Amed - perhaps drop one of the dive shops a line?

Cheers!

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mooball on 26/8/2015 at 09:43 TF writer

The thing with Bali is that almost everywhere is not touristy. So once you get on that motorbike, you'll see no other tourists and will be able to stop at ceremonies as you see them. The crowds in Bali really are concentrated in very few places!

#5 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by hemmingway on 26/8/2015 at 23:13

Thats a relief mooball. Bali gets a lot of bad press here in Aus due to the massive number of crazy drunk aussies running around the island but I suppose that only happens in Kuta.

I'm really looking into getting off the beaten path as cliche as that may sound thats why I wanted to rent a motorbike and just do my own little exploration.

Im actually thinking of scrapping of Permuteran as well so I can travel at a much more easy pace. So Somtam, are you saying that Medewi's surf is not beginner friendly?

#6 hemmingway has been a member since 17/8/2015. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 27/8/2015 at 01:15 admin

Bali is a big place - South Bali (where the Oz press concentrates attention) only a small chunk of the place. As mooball says, get a bike and go!

Re Medewi , I'm very partial to it as illustrated by this piece but if you're going there just to try surfing, you may as well just do your surfing in Legian. Medewi does have plenty of beginner beach break though, so still a good place to learn.

#7 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021

Posted by hemmingway on 30/8/2015 at 07:43

Im just really excited to get out there. Shame the days couldn't go any faster haha.

I think I'll make Medewi just a daytrip from Kuta on the way to the Tanah Lot.

#8 hemmingway has been a member since 17/8/2015. Posts: 11

Posted by EyGee on 19/1/2016 at 21:10

Hi Everyone, will be travelling to Bali this 26th-30th -first time- with my Mom and her friends. We are staying in South Kuta probably stay in beaches most of the time from what I heard. I, on the other hand would like to look at Bali differently. Something more relaxing and less drinking. Something on the local side not the luxurious side. But if I were to explore the place, I'd be on a really tight budget. I know it is quite a short time but I'd really want to make the most out of my 5 day stay.

If anyone can give me tips about the things i should know in and out the airport, transporatation, food, and so on... Would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

#9 EyGee has been a member since 19/1/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by mooball on 24/1/2016 at 19:29 TF writer

For such a short trip as 5 days, you're best off having your own wheels. Doesn't matter if it's a car or a motorbike. Motorbike is obviously cheaper. You can get one of those anywhere in kuta. Just get the bike and pick a few spots around the island which don't sound so touristy. If you can't do it with your own wheels, you're then stuck with local transport which in south Bali is a pain... In that case, you need to get to Denpasar and work your way from there. I'd suggest heading east first... love it out there.

As for food. If you want to eat cheap, eat local. It's not always the most appetising when you're stuck in a small town and all there is to eat is a crappy nasi goreng, but it's good fun.

#10 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.