Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Ubud - Sideman - Amed and then what? Advice needed

Posted by ElectricLion on 22/8/2015 at 05:55

Hello,

I am going to Bali with my girlfriend between 16th and 29th of September. After reading suggested itinerary for 2 weeks in Bali here at travelfish I decided on the first leg of the trip at least. I want to start from Ubud, Sideman, Amed and do some spa, hiking and snorkeling/diving.

This will probably take me about a week and I am not sure how to proceed with a second week. From Amed I have a lot of options and initially I wanted to follow the itinerary and go to Lovina (not a big fan of chasing dolphins) and then to Munduk (That I like) but it seems like a long road to get there and might be expensive as I will be probably using drivers to move from place to place.

The other options include going to gili islands, going south again to Candi Dasa, Nusa Lemongan is also an option. I am mostly interested in beautiful scenery, beaches, culture, monuments etc.

Can You give me advice how to proceed after Amed? Also how much do You think it will cost to hire drivers to move us from place to place?
For example can You estimate more or less how much will Ubud-Sideman-Amed-Munduk-Nusa Dua cost with a driver?

Thank You for any advice You can provide.

Maciek

#1 ElectricLion has been a member since 22/8/2015. Posts: 4

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/8/2015 at 07:00 admin

Hi Maciek,

I'm no great fan of Lovina , but Munduk , I do like a lot. The only consideration would be Sept at the very end of dry season so the waterfalls may not be so great -- that said Munduk still great without the waterfalls.

As far as transport is concerned, when I was in Amed last month I saw share taxi fares to Munduk for 300,000 with a min of two pax - it may be cheaper to go to Lovina and organise onwards transport from there, but I'm not sure you'll save much. OR try and rustle up more people to split the fare with. A more budget option is to get a bemo to Culik and then get a regular bus that is heading around to Singaraja. Onwards transport from Munduk, again see if you can rustle up a few people to split a fare back down to South Bali.

If you're main interests are scenery/culture/mountains - I'd say you'd be better served staying on Bali than heading to the Gilis or Lembongan. The mountain area around Munduk is just gorgeous,

If you do end up chartering a car from Amed to Munduk, a diversion worth considering is to Kali Manik -- food is just AMAZING -- but it is a bit of a diversion (it is further west on the coast road after the turnoff inland to Munduk)

Hope that helps!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,022
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by ElectricLion on 25/8/2015 at 04:59

Thank You for giving me those tips. We will probably follow the itinerary then and go to munduk and then back to bukit penisula to chill. It also seems to me that the best way to go about transport is to hassle on the ground and try to find some good fares or split with other people. Would You recommend doing the same about accommodation? Is it better to prebook via Airbnb and alike or just go around hunting on the ground?

Thanx Again

#3 ElectricLion has been a member since 22/8/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/8/2015 at 07:06 admin

Ahhh on accommodation it can be a real crapshoot. Some places will be cheaper online, some cheaper as walk in etc, there isn't much rhyme or reason to it -- especially in the flashpackery places ($30-$50/night). I don't use Airbnb much, so not sure about that - I assume a lot of those don't take walk in guests though?

September isn't high season, so, if it was me, I wouldn't be booking much in advance unless I was especially set on a particular place -- or couldn't be asked to wander around to find something I liked.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,022
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by ElectricLion on 25/8/2015 at 07:34

On Airbnb there seems to be a very large selection of rooms in the 15-30$ price range. Some better than others. Some of the places are bigger establishments that have a couple of rooms and then probably walk in is possible but most be impossible to find/contact without booking. I am probably gonna just book something for the first day or two to take it easy after a long flight but later gonna be more adventures and find places to sleep along the way.

I like that You are saying september is not high season. I would love to avoid the biggest crowds.

Are there any other activities that You can recommend apart from spa, climbing volcaonos, snorkeling and diving?

Cheers!

#5 ElectricLion has been a member since 22/8/2015. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.