Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Change regarding hostels on Gili T

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/9/2015 at 02:53 admin

We've just been alerted to a change in the rules (yes, the Gilis do have one or two) regarding hostels on Gili T.

To quote from the Facebook page of Gili Hostel Trawangan:

"Out of respect for the Island rules we have reduced our bed numbers to 3 guests per room. As of today we have checked out 28 guests. We worry that these tourists will still not find the homestays that lack an on-line presence but we have done what was asked. We cannot change our name from hostel to homestay as westerners are not allowed to have homestays and we don't want more competition for the many homestays."

Will add more to this thread as we find out more.

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,045
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/9/2015 at 22:10 admin

Just an update on the situation on Gili Trawangan.

We've been advised that four or five hostels on the island have been shutdown (we don't know which properties). That may not sound like much, but each apparently had 80+ beds, so that is a lot of suddenly bedless bums.

This happened day before yesterday (Monday) and only one hostel (Gili Hostel) has been allowed to remain open as it changed its name and room configuration.

The closure forced hundreds of backpackers onto the street and the homestays (who, one might say are the main beneficiary of this) then jacked up their prices. Nice one guys.

Not.

Apparently any rooms with more than three beds ie., dorms are no longer allowed on the island, so this is going to make an already expensive island even more so.

We're not sure what (if any) thinking was involved in this sudden decision.

It will be interesting to see how long this lasts as there will be a definite knock on to the fast boat services -- many of whom would blame the island's rapid tourism growth on -- as Gili T suddenly becoming even more expensive will dissuade some budget travellers.

Will update with more as we here it.

Here's another Facebook post, from Gili Backpackers - they have closed down and are issuing refunds.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,045
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by amnicoll on 2/9/2015 at 05:42

I think the aim is part of the governments desire to attract more tourists to Indonesia!!!!!!!!

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 971
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by exacto on 2/9/2015 at 14:24

I think it is part of the government's desire to attract more tourists to Indonesia, but only a certain type of tourist. Perhaps I am giving too much credit, but when combined with the new free visa for a limited number of entry and exit points, this seems like the second in what will be a continuing series of policies designed to reshape the country's tourist trade. Unfortunately for us independent traveler types, it looks like the government is making an effort to attract the well-heeled, leave-your-money-and-get-out type of visitor, while at the same time discouraging the more low budget, adventure types like us. Gili Meno looked like it was definitely moving up market when we were there last year, and there were signs of up market creep on Gili Air as well. But the good news is there is always somewhere new and interesting and less expensive to go, and part of the fun of independent travel is to find those places. Regards.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,807
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by amnicoll on 3/9/2015 at 03:55

Even the more upmarket visitor may wish to arrive in Bali stay on the Gilis and leave from Lombok

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 971

Posted by swag on 4/9/2015 at 02:10

Having been a returning visitor to Gili T I can certainly agree with Somtam's comments. My wife and I thought the prices across the board had jumped between 30 and 40 % from June 14 to June 15. There certainly seems to be a lot of redevelopement happening but the thing that struck us was a lot of restaurants etc were quiet when in previous years it would be busy.

My whole impression was this was an island changing very fast businesses being forced out new enterprises starting up with an upmarket look and prices to match. I don't see a lot of value for the backpackers any more. Kinda reminds me what happened or is happening to Koh Lipe in Thailand.

The best example of the across the board increases was my wife would top up her second hand books at the island bookstore for 30,000 in 2011 that price is now 200,000 per dog eared second hand book which you get 100,000 back if you return. If your still on the island.

Overall while still loving a lot of Gili T their seems to be a lot of greed etc moving in

Cheers

Swag

#6 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331
 Send swag a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 25/9/2015 at 06:18

Is this being extended elsewhere in Indonesia - saw a report that it may have been introduced on Lombok but can not confirm

#7 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 971

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.