Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Flores travel and maumere and bajawa budget hotels

Posted by amnicoll on 2/9/2015 at 07:20

A quick update on the excellent TF guide to Flores on this site

Travel around by either ordinary Gunung Mas bus (rather than the ordinary local buses or their executive bus) excellent and very easy and priced between local bus and the share taxi. The share taxis are also excellent and very good value and only marginally more expensive than the Gunung Mas and unlike anywhere else I have used share taxis they do not wait until full. They will usually quote a departure time and with perhaps a wait for more passengers of about half an hour will then head off. very comfortable.

In Flores I would always recommend using your hotel to book either the bus or the share taxi and whilst things may be different in Moni and Labuanbajo there was not extra cost involved in Maumere, Ende, Bajawa and Ruteng using the hotel to book.

In MAUMERE I would highly recommend the Sinar Kabor hotel situated on the other side of the bridge to the port (3 minutes walk from center of town) as a budget option (100,000 July 2015). Very friendly family and excellent breakfast

In BAJAWA I would recommend Hotel Johny as a good budget option (again 100,000) and the guide there (Edwin) was excellent and very good value

#1 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 962
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/9/2015 at 04:33 admin

Glad to hear it was a good trip and glad to hear Hotel Johny has improved - it was looking decidedly dire last time I was in Bajawa !

Curious where you went from Bajawa with a guide to? Bena? Or elsewhere? I had another friend there a week ago and he climbed Inerie from Bajawa - sounds pretty fab.

Thanks for the updates - and thanks also for your words re the guide - glad to hear it was useful!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,022
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by gecktrek on 3/9/2015 at 05:08

hey, great info amnicoll, hope you had a great time, just back from my travels through kupang, lembata, flores and sumba. from bajawa, i rented a spedamotor and visited the hot springs and various hill villages such as bena and luba... also, i agree with your comments about the latest lp guidebook, hardly any maps whereas my old 1997 version had maps for almost all the places i visited, wish i had taken that instead!

#3 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 167
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by amnicoll on 3/9/2015 at 05:22

Somtam:

Thanks for your help as well. In bajawa the trip went out to the water falls (would not recommend to others) then we went down to the coast for lunch on the beach where even though we had already bought some fresh fish the locals insisted on also feeding us then we went to Bena and ended up relaxing in the hot springs (100,000 on back of bike but could have done by car). I would and did sugest to others drop the waterfall and instead add an extra village such as Luba or Wogo

gecktrek
yes loved Flores and Sumbawa but although beautiful not so keen on Lombok

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 962
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.