Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Transport to Gili and Night Activities at Bangsal/Teluk Nara

Posted by leeliankong on 12/9/2015 at 20:18

Hi all!

Any suggestions of which harbour we should take, Bangsal or Teluk Nara, considering our circumstances? We will arriving at Lombok Airport at 6.45pm and hoping to catch any 9am boat to the Gilis the next morning.

I understand Bangsal is more stressful than Teluk Nara, but may have more lodging and food/drinks. We do not mind taking either the public or private fast boat to the Gilis. Just hoping for a good meal & drink after our flight and a comfortable backpacker-like accomodation for the night. If there are any night markets, that would be wonderful :)

Which would you recommend to us?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
L & Z

#1 leeliankong has been a member since 12/9/2015. Posts: 2

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by savorygal on 13/9/2015 at 09:14

Neither Bangsal nor Teluk Nara have any accommodation that I would consider comfortable. I would recommend staying the night in Mataram or Sengiggi. Mataram gets a bad rap, but the accommodation will be less expensive than Sengiggi & there are lots of warungs where you can get decent local food.
I'm not sure if the tourist transfer bus from Praya stops in mataram; I think it may only go to sengiggi. There is a desk just outside of customs where you can ask.
Be sure to have your driver/taxi take you via Sengiggi to Bangsal the next morning vs monkey forest road as the ocean views & the views of the gili's are stunning. Metered taxi will likely be your cheapest option. (they may tell you they can't drop you at the harbor as taxis are not allowed in the harbor area d/t the mafia, but if you give 5000 IDR and look pitiful the guard may let your taxi drop you, otherwise you will have to walk or ride a cidomo the remaining 800 meters)
Bangsal doesn't have to be so unpleasant if you just keep your wits about you & don't believe the touts who tell you there are no more boats or insist on carrying your bags. Boats leave about every 30 minutes starting at 730 am ( whenever there are 25-30 people) price is around 15,000 IDR.
There are no public boats from teluk nara and price will be 450,000 -500,000 for a private speed boat.
happy travels & welcome to the Gilis!

#2 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 176
 Send savorygal a private message   Website 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by leeliankong on 14/9/2015 at 00:32

Hello and thank you for your reply!

As we will most probably reach Bangsal/Pemenang at 9pm, we will be grateful to have a clean bed and hot shower. Our aim is just to take one of the earliest boats to the Gilis the next day.

So far, we've found 3 great options : Medana Bay Marina, Mina Tanjung and Rinjani Beach Eco Resort though the prices seem a little out of our budget. Are there cheaper options available at these locations? If they are around these prices, I guess we will just take any one of the 3.

Regarding transport to the Gilis, are there still public speed boats by the Koperasi? If there are, I understand they are around IDR160000? Asking here because there doesn't seem to be an official website or schedule for these public speed boats online. And travel forums primarily mention on the public slow boats and private charter boats (from Teluk Nara) only.

Hope to hear from you soon! And many thanks in advance!

#3 leeliankong has been a member since 12/9/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by savorygal on 14/9/2015 at 01:16

I'm not familiar with any of those hotels and I'm afraid I'm not much help at recommending anything as I've never had a need to stay over in bangsal/Teluk Nara.
Yes there speed boats from bangsal and they run every hour. The price is 75,000 or 80,000 per person. It doesn't look that safe to me. Smoking by the engine and unprofessional staff have made me steer clear. Id take a local boat over the bangsal speed boat any day.
If you are going to be in bangsal is just take a local boat. It's only 30-40 minutes and it gives you a flavor of life here. And it's cheap !

#4 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 176
 Send savorygal a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.