Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Another Plane Missing in Indonesia?

Posted by exacto on 2/10/2015 at 17:26

The report I saw says a search is underway for a missing Aviastar domestic flight out of Sulawesi with 10 on board. I hope it isn't true, but this reflects back to somtam's recent comments about how flying in Indonesia is particularly uncomfortable for him.

#1 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,798
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by sambalgoreng on 2/10/2015 at 19:34

This year alone in Java bus accidents kill more than 250 people, yes 250. In the last 5 years, bus accidents kill at least 25 times more people than flight accidents. In the last 5 years, boat accidents kill at least 10 times more people than flight accidents. Nearly all destinations in Indonesia you can go there by boats or buses. Just for Gili Trawangan from Bali, many people recommend flights to Lombok than direct boats, yes direct boats. These are the facts about transport accidents in Indonesia. Up to you to decide what transport to chose. If not flight, there is boat or bus or boat+bus. I just tell the chances of accidents you can get kill by using flights, boats and buses.

#2 sambalgoreng has been a member since 25/9/2014. Posts: 32
 Send sambalgoreng a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Gogomobile on 2/10/2015 at 22:30

You need to compare like for like. If 50 times more people catch a bus then the stats would say that flights are twice as dangerous.

You left that crucial bit of info out.

#3 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Posted by MADMAC on 3/10/2015 at 00:20

Gogo it's more complicate than that still. Because it's also a question of how much distance you are travelling. So it's per capita fatality per mile (or KM) traveled. When this is sorted out, I suspect Bus travel is going to end up on the most dangerous list in Indonesia as well as it does almost everywhere.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by sambalgoreng on 3/10/2015 at 00:48

I am saying you can take boat or bus or boat+bus not only flight to almost all destinations in Indonesia. No need to take flight if you are not comfortable about it. There is choice for you no? This is crucial bit of info also. Boat , bus or boat+bus always option for you no? Many members travel regularly and sometime weeks or months in Indonesia. How they travel? Flight only, no boat or bus? Impossible to recommend go Flores, Sumbawa, Pulau Weh, Raja Ampat, Maluku, Togian and many more if not use domestic flight or boat or bus or combination.
If you concern about flight, you not concern about boat or bus? That is also crucial no when discusiing travel in Indonesia?

#5 sambalgoreng has been a member since 25/9/2014. Posts: 32

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/10/2015 at 01:52 admin

It's relatively uncommon to have a bus accident where all the pax die. More common with flights. Though I did just survive a flight this morning, so not going to whine.

I do agree that there are plenty of other options for getting around in Indonesia, like bus and boat -- neither of which has exactly glowing standards ... but, across the board, could be better.

Look at the road toll in Thailand - insane!

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,022
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SBE on 3/10/2015 at 03:42

Does anyone know if this was the plane that serves Ampana airport? Ampana airport finally opened earlier this year but only Aviastar has been using it so far ... short flights once a week from Gorontalo, Luwuk and Palu (no flights from Makassar or Manado yet).

PS I survived 2 Aviastar twin otter flights last year ..nowhere near as scary as a minibus ride from Penang to Hat Yai.

#7 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by sambalgoreng on 3/10/2015 at 05:45

Ampana airport is Tanjung Api. The missing Aviastar is from Masamba airport Andi Djemma.
Aviastar start route Gorontalo-Ampana-Luwuk-Ampana-Gorontalo on 02/04/2015 Thursday and Saturday.

#8 sambalgoreng has been a member since 25/9/2014. Posts: 32

Posted by SBE on 3/10/2015 at 07:08

Yes I know, but they probably use that Twin Otter plane for more than one route. There's no info about the crash on the Aviastar site and Masamba isn't even on their flight route map. The only place they say they fly to from Makassar is Selayar. There's no flight route map for Ampana either. I'm guessing they just haven't updated their website since last April ... but there is a crisis number you can call which is presumably related to the crash.

PS. Is the flight info on this site wrong? http://ampana-travel.com/transport-info

#9 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by sambalgoreng on 3/10/2015 at 08:24

Wrong or not I do not know.
The info I get from Sulawesi Timur Post.

#10 sambalgoreng has been a member since 25/9/2014. Posts: 32

Posted by Gogomobile on 3/10/2015 at 19:00

60% of road deaths are motorbike riders. Given that planes fly further I wouldnt be adding in miles travelled.

#11 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Posted by amnicoll on 5/10/2015 at 06:10

Check out the stats for travel (general not Indonesia) on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_safety

#12 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 962
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by mooball on 6/10/2015 at 00:11 TF writer

Yeah, the roads are definitely dangerous in Indonesia. I think about 45,000 deaths per year last time I checked. But then again, far far more people travel on the roads. I think one thing we can agree on is that transportation in general is more dangerous in Indonesia than many countries. At the end of the day, you catch whichever mode of transport you feel most comfortable with... I think it's difficult to decide which is the most likely to kill you. I would guess riding a motorbike is the most dangerous. But who knows??

#13 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.