Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

ATM's Indonesia - Fees, limits, Cash etc

Posted by altmtl on 9/11/2015 at 14:24

Looking for recent info: 2015-16

As I am going to spend most of my time in Indonesia on my next trip I was looking for some up to date answers on local bank fees and the such... As I understand it the max. withdrawal rate is only 3,000,000 = $309 CDN some other banks is even less. Inside the bank you can withdraw more on your credit card - up to 10,000,000 = $973 CDN. With a debit card there is a $5.00 fee + a 2.5% conversion rate - so that's $12.72 per max. transaction (so 38.16 for 3 transactions) + the local bank fee if there is one.

If I use my TD Visa card to withdraw 10,000,000 - there is a 1% fee + the 2.5% conversion rate - so $34.05 CDN - This however is considered a cash advance however, so I would need to have my card loaded with that amount or pay aprox $1.50 a day interest - Would pay it off ASAP. Of course this would save the hassle of always looking for banks that give out the 3,000,000 amount.

I read somewhere that Indonesian ATM's don't have local fees - i.e like in Thailand (which is now 200 baht in most banks) Is this correct? I was thinking of bringing CDN cash be heard I will get a very bad rate, so I have some $US - but that means keeping an eye eye for those money changer scams.

I'll be going to Flores after Bali so I want to be prepared.

My other question would be - It appears I can't buy an airline ticket online with Canadian credit card, so I have to go to a travel agent and I would be charged an additional 3% if I used my credit card - Is this correct? Not using my CC means it cuts into the cash I just withdrew - if you catch my drift [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for your help [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#1 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by gecktrek on 9/11/2015 at 17:40

hey, on my recent trip through nusa tenggara i used a debit card that doesn't charge withdrawal fees. the other thing i noticed was many/most atm machines, the maximum withdrawal amount was rp.1000000, and even choosing 'other' and entering the amount (ie. more than rp.1000000) the machine chose to decline the transaction. (i did manage to extract more from a couple of machines) also machines exclusively dispensed either 50000 or 100000 notes. i think i mostly used the bni bank atm's...

#2 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 163
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by altmtl on 9/11/2015 at 17:58

Unfortunately not all people have debit cards that don't charge fees especially in Canada where they require you to have a very high balance in your account... i.e $5000 or pay almost $30 a month in fees - The 2.5% conversion rate still applies regardless.

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by mooball on 9/11/2015 at 22:34 TF writer

Getting an ATM to dispense 3,000,000 is a difficult task especially outside of cities. Most ATMs are in the region of 2,000,000 these days, but don't be surprised if you can only get 1,250,000.

If you're looking to save money on money access, the cheapest way is almost always by going to a money changer. In most cities there are money changing shops/counters which give great rates and don't rip you off. Bali is a different matter. While there are plenty of good honest money changers, there are probably more scammers. So while I would recommend bringing cash and exchanging it, just beware of who you use.

I'm not sure which airlines you're referring to regarding refusing international cards, but if you need a booking agent, there are plenty online these days. Tiket.com, tiket2.com, traveloka.com and about 1000 others. They are so competitive that I reckon you'd get around the 3% card surcharge somehow. They sometimes even do big discounts as loss leaders in order to gain customers.

#4 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by altmtl on 9/11/2015 at 23:04

traveloka does not accept Canadian cards, but I can always try the others for fun when I know my date.

I'd just like to know which banks do dispense 3,000,000 despite it being a difficult task - and I would use this option in big cities. Only being able to get 1,250,000 seriously. What a joke. And sure I'll just carry big wads of US$ cash with me for 2 months.

And the local ATM fees can you give me an answer on that?

I'm sorry mooball but I'm not finding your answers that helpful.

#5 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by mooball on 9/11/2015 at 23:59 TF writer

OK, well find your info elsewhere.

#6 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439

Posted by gecktrek on 10/11/2015 at 03:05

hey altmtl, have you applied for your 60 visa yet? when i applied for mine in australia i needed to supply a bank statement with aus$5000 or more in it. just thinking if you had that money in an account you could get yourself a debit card as well as your visa...

#7 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 163
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by altmtl on 10/11/2015 at 03:45

I did take a look at Tiket.com and it appears they do take foreign cards, but when I tried to add my CC on Ttaveloka - t didn't accept it, so anyway I'll see closer to the date.

I did get information on which banks may allow for 3,000,000 withdrawals but the answers are varied - mentioned are BNI, BCA, CBA and Citebank. You also didn't mention if all towns have money changers. Keep in mind that some people aren't that comfortable carrying around 2 months worth of cash on them. So knowing which banks do allow the highest withdrawals is important in planning. and of course choosing the best option which for me seems to be just going into a bank with a credit card although I will have some US cash in case this is not an option...

I also don't want to lose by having a double conversion. I'm sure it's easier to get a better rate on aussie dollars in Bali than CDN$

I check a variety of sources but they pretty much seem out of date. I'd like to hear from recent travellers - I know a lot of people don't pay attention to these kind of details, but it's not only trying to save on the fees - as I may consider paying a bit more a more practical option, but it's about knowing all the options available. And no matter how many times I ask I never do get a clear answer on local ATM fees.

Sorry but I'm more knowledgeable about Thailand in this regard, so I just want to know the same type of answers.

#8 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by sambalgoreng on 10/11/2015 at 04:24

If you check the other travel forum ATM maximum amount you will find answers.

#9 sambalgoreng has been a member since 25/9/2014. Posts: 32
 Send sambalgoreng a private message 

Posted by altmtl on 10/11/2015 at 04:47

gecktrek - I will be applying for my 60 day visa in Dec. as you can only apply 30 days before departure - I don't remember them asking for proof of funds however.

sambalgoreng - Which travel forum would that be? :)

You mean this https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/asia-south-east-asia-islands-peninsula/indonesia/atm-maximum-amount?page=1

#10 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by altmtl on 10/11/2015 at 05:11

I also saw this thread on TT: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/asia-south-east-asia-islands-peninsula/indonesia/atms-flores-sumbawa-and-lombok?page=1#post_21885155

So the info varies quite a lot.

#11 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by mooball on 10/11/2015 at 05:27 TF writer

A few things.

I've never been charged a local fee by an indo ATM. If I was charged, it must have been wrapped in the entire transaction cost as I've never accepted it from an on screen prompt.

The amount dispensed from machines varies from ATM to ATM, city to city, bank to bank. Some are good, some aren't. You can't know how much an ATM is going to dispense until you go to it. There are some exceptions. For example, I've always been able to get a stack (2,5 or 3) from HSBC. Maybe there is some system to variations, but I've never been able to figure it out and I've never known anyone else to figure it out.

The banking environment in Indonesian is far less developed than in Thailand. You seem to be able to get info on Thailand ATM charges pretty readily - Aeon 150, the others 180/200. Can get 20,000 from this, 30,000 from that. In Indonesia, it's different. Most people don't even have a bank account.

The more remote the place visited, the less choice you have. In many towns there are no ATMs at all. In some towns there is 1. And if you're in a situation like that, the thing usually dispenses 1,250,000. But sometimes you get lucky.

In Java you're never too far from an ATM. In the east you can be far.

When I travel to more remote areas, I take about 5,000,000 on me. That usually lasts a long time because in more remote areas, prices are often (but not always) low.

I've been robbed once and I lost 500,000. So yeah, it does happen and if it had been the entire stack of cash, it would have been tragic.

So what's the solution to your problem of having to deal with large fees? Withdraw a stack or two from the airport when you arrive (you'll find one dispensing at least 2,5) and then hope for the best on your travels. If you can get info on over the counter withdrawals that might be your best hope.

Cheers.

#12 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439

Posted by CharmingPotato on 29/12/2015 at 10:53

| In response to the following statement by altmtl:

| Inside the bank you can withdraw more on your credit card - up to 10,000,000 = $973 CDN

In which city and bank can you withdraw up to 10,000,000 on a credit card inside the bank? I went to both BNI and BCA main branches in Makassar and the manager said the maximum one-time withdrawal using my VISA card is 3,000,000.

Thanks

#13 CharmingPotato has been a member since 29/12/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by tonimarkunya on 2/1/2016 at 22:02

http://insthink.net in indonesia many place were u can see of beautifull nature in indonesia

#14 tonimarkunya has been a member since 28/12/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by altmtl on 7/1/2016 at 04:43

I read somewhere it was possible to withdraw up to 10,000,000 - If I'm wrong I guess I'll be in for a big surprise...

#15 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by altmtl on 7/1/2016 at 05:51

This just in... "Cash advance on Visa/Mastercard can only be done at the BCA Card Centre on jalan Raya Kuta. Maximum Rp10 million per card, per day. BCA charges Rp75,000 for each transaction."

#16 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by santir on 9/1/2016 at 08:43

When I was in Indonesia last year, I had a lot of problems to withdraw big amounts of money in the ATMs.

#17 santir has been a member since 9/1/2016. Posts: 1
 Send santir a private message 

Posted by altmtl on 23/1/2016 at 20:51

Ok, I'm backtracking a bit here but was looking for an update - I read a post on another group saying they were able to get a cash advance over the counter on their credit card - I took money out from a bank ( commonwealth ) in Kuta $600 and had no problems" - so I'm still looking to find out what the maximum amount would be at other banks and places - Mainly Bali and Flores.

No ATM answers please. But I would be curious to know if there are money changer in Flores?

#18 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by nicfortin on 30/3/2016 at 13:42

Hello altmtl,

How was it?

Where did you manage to get a good withdrawal without too high fees etc?

I'm in Ubud right now and after 2 calls to my Canadian bank visa credit card (TD) the fraud protection is cleared. I still cannot withdraw (cash advance) from any of the 6 ATM near by...

Apparently from TD costumer services some bank simply do not accept Canadian card... Bummer

Where did you get lucky?

I'll be staying in Ubud area for the next 6-7 days and I'm running low on cash...

Thx and cheers

Nic

#19 nicfortin has been a member since 30/3/2016. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.