Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Bali - Ijen Volcano multi-day trip

Posted by hemmingway on 17/11/2015 at 05:21

Hey guys,

I will be arriving in Bali this Nov. 26. I am very interested to see the Ijen Crater in East Java on an independent, self-guided tour. It's not that from from Bali so a multi-day trip would be possible right? I've crafted up a draft itinerary. Let me know what you guys think:

Day 1 - Drive from Medwi to Gilimanuk with rented scooter. Cross ferry. Lunch in Banyuwagi. Stay here overnight.
Day 2 - Drive to Ijen Plateau. Hike up Ijen Crater. Back to Bali.

Is this good? Is a guide needed to hike up the Volcano? Suggestiosn and recommendations on places to stay and things to do would be appreciated. How much should I budget for this trip? Thanks guys!

#1 hemmingway has been a member since 17/8/2015. Posts: 11

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by mooball on 18/11/2015 at 01:36 TF writer

Sounds like a great plan and it's saddening that more people don't attempt to visit Ijen from Bali -- it's really not that far or difficult. I think latest reports say the road up to Ijen is quite good compared to what it was a few years back.

Just be careful about taking the bike of the ferry. Make sure all your papers are in order - licence, STNK, visa. You wouldn't want to be checked and not have it in order -- although payment of a fine will usually make your problem go away.

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Instagram 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by hemmingway on 18/11/2015 at 19:29

It looks really far but from what a local told me, he says you can even do it as a half day trip from Medewi!

#3 hemmingway has been a member since 17/8/2015. Posts: 11

Posted by mooball on 18/11/2015 at 23:08 TF writer

You could certainly get to the top of Ijen and back within a day from Medewi . A half day might be pushing it. :) In very rough terms, you could say 1 hour from Medewi to the ferry, 1 hour waiting for and on the ferry, 1 hour from the ferry to the Ijen car park, 1 hour up to the top... That's 4 hours + the same on the way back. But yeah, if you're doing a tour from Medewi that gets to Ijen while it's still dark, you'd be back in Medewi before lunch. :)

#4 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by FancyTraveler on 10/12/2015 at 05:42

Hello - the plan looks great. Next year I'm also planning trekking to Kawah Ijen . So let me know if you managed to do it.

#5 FancyTraveler has been a member since 10/12/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by widhi on 2/2/2016 at 23:17

Hi Hemmingway,

it was a very good solution if you are traveling alone or want efficient cost. Of course, with all the risks and consequences. if only that purpose, you just need to prepare less than 1 million IDR

#6 widhi has been a member since 2/2/2016. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.