Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Sumbawa dreaming

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/3/2016 at 00:30 admin

Hi all,

Am planning a roughly three week trip to Sumbawa at the moment, and looking for suggestions - as while I've flown over it numerous times have never set foot on it.

Broadly, so far I have Bima, Tambora (to climb), Lakey Peak, the breaks near Taliwang and very curious about the islands in the inland sea kind of thing below Tambora.

There's also supposed to be some great beaches down past the Newmont mine in the southwest.

Suggestions welcome & appreciated!

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,010
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by amnicoll on 4/3/2016 at 05:52

I loved Sumbawa but I did not do the beaches

I stayed in Dompu for a few days and made several friends in a short space of time and enjoyed Bima and Sumbawa Besar

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 940
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/3/2016 at 07:56 admin

So I went to see what LP had to say about Dompu (I'd never heard of it) and, well, they're holding their cards close to their chest lol!

Would say say all three towns are typical Indonesian towns worth a couple of days of just hanging around and seeing what surfaces? I'm also looking at going up to try and climb Tambora - have emailed this outfit there -- sounds promising.

I also thought this was quite useful as I'll probably just try and do it all by scooter ex Bima. Broad strokes point in right direction etc.

Find it amazing just how little info there is online about here - quite itching to get there.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,010
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by amnicoll on 5/3/2016 at 05:02

Find it amazing just how little info there is online about here - quite itching to get there.

That's probably why you will see so few tourists there!

me I loved the cities the people were so nice - I went to a muslim wedding in Bima and was invited into peoples homes many many times as I wandered around the back streets

Also check out if you are using your own transport the beaches around the inlet on the North of the island

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 940
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/3/2016 at 17:25 admin

A few more links to stuff I've found. Have noted your accom tips amnicoll :-)

Lots of pics of a motorbike trip across Sumbawa.
Tombs "somewhere" outside Sumbawa Besar and this on same topic, but in Polish...
Homestays on Moyo
Fancy pants joint in Maluk - must not show to Mrs Travelfish ;-)

Will keep digging

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,010

Posted by swag on 5/3/2016 at 23:12

G'day Somtam

Will be interested to hear all about the trip. Am looking at a stop there when I eventually get to Flores. Will be great to hear some new info.

p.s will be heading thru Denpasar early June for a couple of nights, would be great to catch up again over a couple of beers

#6 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331
 Send swag a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/3/2016 at 04:14 admin

Swag I'll be here - be great to catch up.

Just bought a one way from Bali to Bima for US$27 -- twenty seven dollars -- bargain. Going this Sunday. Slowly gathering info.

If you're on Instagram, the ADVENTUROUS_SUMBAWA account is a good one. That via a thread on LP TT.

See you in June.

#7 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,010

Posted by exacto on 16/4/2016 at 15:56

somtam,
You wrote on twitter that:
"If you’re already familiar with Indonesia & want somewhere new to explore, Sumbawa is ace. Worth 2-4 weeks at least."
Yes, please. I was thinking about 60 days in Lombok and Sumbawa sometime in 2017, but the coverage to date on Lombok is pretty thin and Sumbawa almost non existent. It looks like you've had a fantastic trip through Sumbawa these last few weeks. Will you be putting up new information on Travelfishy about what you found anytime soon?
Cheers.

#8 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,773
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/4/2016 at 17:23 admin

Yes. Later today :-) and a couple of suggested itineraries later in the week.

I thought our coverage of Lombok was ok! Damn, may have to return to take another look ;-)

#9 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,010

Posted by purcitron on 19/7/2016 at 18:25

hi all. im planning a trip across Sumbawa by motorbike,
how accurate are the roads on a GPS device?
also, what are the insurance requirements please?
thanks!

#10 purcitron has been a member since 15/6/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 45
 Send purcitron a private message   Instagram 

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/7/2016 at 19:58 admin

GPS has been fine on my phone with a local simcard (Tsel). Coverage is generally of -- some lack of coverage in remote areas, but most of the time fine. Roads are, by Indonesian standards, excellent.

What do you mean by insurance requirements? Legally you require an international licence to drive/ride here - without that will probably void your travel insurance.

#11 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,010

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.