Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Cash or Cards in Flores

Posted by Travelone1 on 2/5/2016 at 23:51

I am travelling to Flores late May and would like to know what the situation is like with;
ATM's for cash availabilty
Which is better Visa / Mastercard
Should I take 50% cash and use card the rest of time
Or basically use my cards for all cash top ups

Cheers
Travelone1

#1 Travelone1 has been a member since 7/4/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/5/2016 at 00:56 admin

You'll find international access ATMs in most of the major centres (Labuan Bajo, Ruteng, Bajawa, Ende, Maumere) which should be fine for accessing cash. I'm not sure is M'card or Visa better - think as long as in the Cirrus or Maestro network is fine - but don't expect to be able to use a card for purchases -- except for flights or perhaps a diving course - guesthouses and restaurants will be mostly cash only.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,090

Posted by amnicoll on 4/5/2016 at 05:04

you will probably find it harder to change cash than an ATM (unless US$)

I used Visa throughout the island with no problem but note that the ATMs have a limit on what you can withdraw at one time so if you incur charges for your card from your bank look for the machines offering more (sometimes side by side with the one offering less)

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Posted by mooball on 7/5/2016 at 08:26 TF writer

Yeah, things have changed a lot over the past decade in Flores as far as ATMs are concerned. There are no problems finding ATMs. You'll also find Labuan Bajo pretty modern compared to what some older guide books say. There's been a real tourist boom in that town. Lots of daily flights to Bali, a few more modern cafes, lots of new modern hotels.

So yeah, ATMs no problem. Just take 1m in your wallet with you in case of a blackout or something.

#4 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 439

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.