Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Climbing Rinjani on Lombok Indonesia. In photos

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/5/2016 at 22:15 admin

Over the last few days I did a three day two night climb of Gunung Rinjani on Lombok with some friends from Jakarta, and here are a few pics to get your feet itching (or not!) While we'll have a full trip report on Travelfish next week (I only got home last night) my one piece of advice is:

Don't do a three day two night trek unless you are in extremely good shape. Do either the one night "summit only" trek or, if you want to see the lake and hotsprings, definitely do the three night four day trip.

Our guide for the trip was Padila Al Farizi

Anyway, here are the happy snaps :-) Questions, as always, welcome.

rinjani-1.jpg
Welcome to Rinjani.

rinjani-2.jpg

Walking through the savanna from the starting point towards Pos 1.

rinjani-3.jpg

It was a four-day holiday weekend, so quite congested at times. Even cyclists!

rinjani-4.jpg

More savanna.

rinjani-5.jpg

Eventually you leave the savanna as the hiking gets, well, steeper.

rinjani-6.jpg

Mist and low cloud blows in and out and the temperature swings wildly as you get higher.

rinjani-23.jpg

All so happy and cheerful -- right before the pain.

rinjani-7.jpg

Campsites line the crater rim before the summit. Very congested and filthy with trash unfortunately.

rinjani-8.jpg

The stuff porters lug...

rinjani-9.jpg

Late light. We go to bed straight after dinner, ready for a 2am start to climb the summit.

rinjani-24.jpg

With only headlamps for light, we slowly make our way up. Passing people in tears. The going is hard.

rinjani-10.jpg

Extremely hard. I give up on reaching summit for dawn and rest to enjoy the light show.

rinjani-11.jpg

The sun brings with it a better idea of the congestion...

rinjani-12.jpg

... and the slope.

rinjani-13.jpg

As we continue to climb, the earlier risers are already on the way down.

rinjani-14.jpg

One of my climbing companions, Adri, taking a rest...

rinjani-15.jpg

The summit view is amazing. See the baby volcano in the crater.

rinjani-16.jpg

Some breathtaking recklessness for selfies.

rinjani-17.jpg

Then the climb down begins. Note the people sliding down on bums and the other being dragged up by a rope...

rinjani-18.jpg

We rest for a couple of hours, then begin the hike down into the crater to camp beside the lake.

rinjani-19.jpg

Time to pray for a helicopter...

rinjani-20.jpg

The lake is stunning and the nearby hotsprings soothing.

rinjani-21.jpg

Then the next morning we bit the lake farewell and commence the hike out.

rinjani-22.jpg

The views on the way out are equally fab.

rinjani-25.jpg

But equally gruelling.

rinjani-26.jpg

Then a very long, hard slog, with quite a bit of rain, to finally reach Senaru and civilisation!

While we'll have a full write-up coming, I would say don't underestimate just how physically demanding this climb is and would strongly advise opting for the 4-day trip rather than 3-day.

Enjoy!

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,015
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/5/2016 at 08:34 admin

Related to this - Rinjani National Park (along with most parks in Indonesia, has a massive trash problem. Some thought on this, and how possibly to tackle it are here.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,015
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.