Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Bali 1st timer, and desperate for a bit of advice!

Posted by thewonderseeker on 8/6/2016 at 03:05

Hi my husband and I will be travelling to Bali this October/November for 24 days. We have a rough itinerary prepared and and just needing some suggestions and a bit of advice.

We are thinking about doing the following:

Legian/Seminyak Area 9 days

Ubud 4 days

Lombok 6 days

Jimbaron 5 days

We want to unwind by a pool and or beach for a few days at the beginning and end of our vacation to unwind, relax with a drink in one hand and a book in another. Other than our flight, we have yet to book any accomadations as we get more confused the more reading we do.

We are in our mid 50's and are wondering if renting scooters in each area is worth the effort, or should we cab and use private drivers?

Are we missing some great area that is a must visit?

Is Senggigi a good home base for we really want to tour Lombok on our own, but coming back to the same place, or is this not reasonable?

Should we fly from Bali to Lombok, or take a fast boat?

Should I make a 1-2 day trip to the Gili Islands?

Is there any good river rafting any where on Bali, to spend a couple of hours doing something a bit out of the ordinary?

And lastly; we are thinking of the climb up Mount Batur to see the sunrise, we are in reasonable shape and are wondering if this is worth the effort?

Any suggestions would definitley be appreciated as it is our first trip to Bali

#1 thewonderseeker has been a member since 8/6/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 8/6/2016 at 20:22

Renting scooter in Bali at main tourist destinations it's not good idea, except north bali such as lovina, west bali such as canggu and south bali such as uluwatu area it will be alright. In this area Kuta, Seminyak, Sanur, Nusa Dua and Jimbaran, this area is super crowded and it's not recommended if you are not scooter driving experiences. The best suggest use private drivers. i used many times this guy as my driver (alexchandra002@gmail.com) and also he could suggest the best thing to see and to do while you are in Bali.

Driving scooter at Lombok Island it's should be fine and take senggigi as home base it will be fine. You could drive to Bangsal from sengigi to Gili Island. Bangsal is small harbor and the closes way to gili islands, it's just 5 to 15 minute by boat. Also you could park there (home business only for parking lot rent) while you are stay over night at gili islands. Gili Air or Gili Meno it's recomended for you i guess.

#2 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 8/6/2016 at 20:28

how to get to Lombok from Bali by fast boat or by air plane, both it's good ways though. if you are in rush and you want to make short trip by air plane is better. If you enjoy to see around and doesn't matter of the time i guess by fast boat it's new experiences at least give it try.

#3 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71

Posted by thewonderseeker on 9/6/2016 at 01:02

Thank You YogaSearcherBali.....I think I will stick to a scooter in Lombok and use car and driver in Bali. I think we will take the fast boat to Lombok and return via air. I appreciate you taking the time to answer some of my questions!

#4 thewonderseeker has been a member since 8/6/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by savorygal on 10/6/2016 at 19:10

Sounds like a wonderful trip

I agree, scooter driving in Bali is very dangerous & keep in mind that if you do not have a motorcycle license in your home country, your insurance will not cover you if you are in an accident.

I am not a huge fan of sengiggi, and would not spend too much ( if any) time there. The Gili's are lovely (however, I am biased as I live on Gili T ). You may end up spending more time on the Gili's than you planned so allow for that. My first visit I was meant to stay 3 days & ended up staying 6 weeks!

Gili Air is a nice option, but don't rule out Gili T, as there are lots of beautiful and quiet spots away from the party scene.

While in lombok, you may want to check out Rinjani Mountain Garden on the northern slopes of Mt. Rinjani. It is a peaceful and lovely place... I think there is a write up about it on Travelfish.

On the southern slope there is a lovely village, Tete Batu, with a small homestay called Haikiki Inn. Its run by a local guy & his sister. Really comfortable & beautiful setting.

Lastly, a mention on fast boats. Some are very unsafe & overloading is the norm. If you get a really cheap price be wary.

Happy travels

#5 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 176

Posted by thewonderseeker on 19/6/2016 at 22:43

Thanks Savorygal,

We will rent a scooter per day as we go. Mostly we will hire private drivers. Looking forward to the visit, and we might forgo Senggig for Gilli T.

#6 thewonderseeker has been a member since 8/6/2016. Posts: 3

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.