Text page

Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Snorkelling in Sumbawa

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/6/2016 at 21:24 admin

On my recent trip through Sumbawa I didn't have the time to do any diving, but I did manage to fit in some snorkelling research and here is a quick wrap.

In West Sumbawa I snorkelled at Jelenga (off the back of the reef - you need to hire a small boat or be a reasonably strong swimmer), Moyo Island, Paserang Island, Gili Bedil and Satonda Island. In the east I snorkelled at Gili Pudu (in Saleh Bay). Other spots I floated over (but didn't jump in at) include Pulau Bajo (out from Sape in the east), and Gili Kenawa and Gili Keramat in the west.

In general I found the snorkelling to be pretty good, better than I expected to be honest, but silly boat chartering costs was a constant frustration - plenty of bule tax at work. You are well advised to bring your own snorkelling gear.

The snorkelling at Moyo Island was absolutely superb with amazing visibility and I had the entire site to myself, but on the downside, the boat to reach it from the mainland is expensive. You can though stay in a homestay on Moyo which would mitigate the expense somewhat - see the Moyo transport section for some info on the trickiness/cost of getting here. The waterfall on Moyo is also fab.

Second fave was Paserang, off the coast of Poto Tano. The reef was in surprisingly good shape and there were tonnes of fish. Kenawa's beaches were so filthy I didn't bother getting in the water - my guide said Kenawa's snorkelling wasn't as good as Parerang's.

While Satonda gets very solid write-ups elsewhere (it is a standard stop on the Lombok - Flores boat trips), I was pretty non-plussed by the reef. Gili Bedil on the other hand was good, and there is a deeper reef half way between the mainland port and Bedil that is better, though it has some current. Another good spot was Gili Pudu, which, despite filthy beaches, had some great snorkelling. It is though a bit of a hassle to get to.

Lastly, the only off the beach snorkelling I did was at Jelenga - I had a sampan drop me of behind the reef for a look see. The clarity in the water was just amazing, but very very few fish, which I couldn't really make sense of. There are also some outlying beaches that are worth a look, but sadly jellyfish kept us out of the water that day.

There are plenty of other spots worth a try -- just don't make the mistake of thinking Sumbawa is for surfers only ;-)

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,093

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 12/6/2016 at 10:35

Sumbawa has plenty small island around at the north part and the most for surfer is south part of sumbawa only :) also there's no swell direction on the north to make the waves to surf anyway. Cheers

#2 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.