Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Returning from gili

Posted by srgank on 14/6/2016 at 03:49

Hi mates,

I will be on September on gili air. I plan to return from Gili to Dempasar airport the same day as the flight is.
My flight leaves at 7pm and I plan to take the first fast boat in the morning ( around 10:30 )
Do you think it's ok?
Are the delays usual on the fastboats? For how long?

#1 srgank has been a member since 14/6/2016. Posts: 4

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by amnicoll on 14/6/2016 at 05:03

So you need to be at the airport by 17.00

You can not predict is the weather nor a mechanical delay

You do not say which Gili you are referring to and where the boat arrives but from PadangBai you need to factor in the time to the airport with at least half an hour for unloading luggage off the boat and getting on the bus unless you are getting a taxi. You also if going by bus need to ensure that the bus is going via airport on way to Kuta and not after (or not at all)

In addition many of the buses from padangbai go via Ubud which adds an extra hour

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 944
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by srgank on 14/6/2016 at 05:36

uff.... too many things... jeje

let's see:
1. I will be on gili air.
2. The boat departs at 11:15 and (hopefully) arrives to padangbai at 13:30 pm
3. I will take a taxi to the airport.

Will this approach be ok?

Thanks

#3 srgank has been a member since 14/6/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by amnicoll on 14/6/2016 at 05:46

If all goes well yes - assuming you get away from Padangbai by say 14.00 then you should be at the airport by around 15.30ish

It is up to you to assess the risk as all anyone can do is tell you what it ought to take

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 944

Posted by srgank on 14/6/2016 at 07:15

hmmm....

what would you do? XD I need a little help here...

Thanks!

#5 srgank has been a member since 14/6/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by srgank on 14/6/2016 at 07:18

Sorry. My flight departs at 20:40 not at 19:00... It's more time then

#6 srgank has been a member since 14/6/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by amnicoll on 14/6/2016 at 07:27

personally I would have gone the day before on the original timings but now you have another couple of hours

I would certainly look at weather forcasts if you do decide to do the transfer on the last day so you have a plan B

As i said it is your decision.

#7 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 944

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 14/6/2016 at 21:59

it' will be alright i believe, as long as you take the first transfer from Gili to Bali at the morning. it's better you are earlier at the airport then late. it's seem your flight and your leaving timing still have plenty hours even with the bad weather on the ocean and traffic jam on the road it's take maximum 6 hours from Gili to Airport though.

#8 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71
 Send YogaSearcherBali a private message   Website   Facebook    Instagram 

Posted by amnicoll on 15/6/2016 at 04:25

If you are early there are plenty of places to hang around just outside the airport gates

#9 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 944

Posted by savorygal on 15/6/2016 at 08:20

Hi
I would suggest getting a fast boat to Serangan Harbor vs Padang Bai. Serangan is 20 minutes to the airport, vs 2 + hours from Padang Bai. Traffic from padang bai could really stuff you up.

Both Blue water express & Gili Getaway use Serangan harbor. Both are reliable & leave on time. Avoid cheap boat tickets to Padang Bai. They often leave late, make unexpected stops and are unreliable.

The alternative, is to fly. There are about 10 flights a day from Lombok to Bali. Takes 25 minutes, and they are usually cheap. There can be delays though, especially with the later flights. Garuda is by far the best of the bunch.

#10 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 176
 Send savorygal a private message   Website 

Posted by exacto on 15/6/2016 at 09:53

Excellent feedback from savorygal as always. I wish I had known about the Serangan harbor option on our fast boat from Gili Air back to Bali, as Padang Bai was a massive cluster and a generally unpleasant experience.
Our boat from Gili Air to Padang Bai wasn't one of the cheap boats savorygal warns about, but it still departed late and was crowded/uncomfortable. The boat started at Gili T, then stopped at Gili Meno, Gili Air, and finally Senggigi before darting across the straight to Padang Bai.
If you are worried about making your flight, you could always head over Bali the night before and relax for your final night. You could also catch an earlier ferry that morning and get a day room near the airport to get in some last-minute shopping, food, and spa treatments before going to the airport.
Let us know what you decide and how it worked out. Cheers.

#11 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,780
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by julianarigom on 20/6/2016 at 14:42

Hello! Since it is the same kind of doubt I´m going to ask here..

I will be in Gili around the 10th of February. And plan on going to Gili to Lombok in the morning to catch the 12:15 flight to Kuala Lumpur. Arriving in KUL at 15:25 to catch another flight at 19:10 to Hanoi.

Is there enough time to go from Gili (T or Air - haven´t decided yet where I´ll be staying) to Lombok on the same day of the flight? Or should I go the day before?

Do these flights tend to delay?

Thanks!! :)

#12 julianarigom has been a member since 20/6/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by amnicoll on 21/6/2016 at 05:05

Do not even consider it stay on Lombok

as for the flights you have not even identified the airlines so how do you expect me to even start to answer

delays and cancellations are not uncommon in Indonesia and no one is able to say when a volcano might erupt and affect flights let alone the normal hazzards

#13 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 944

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 21/6/2016 at 22:09

Hi Julianarigom, if you leaving from Gili at the same day to Lombok Airport, don't make any plan beside that, make sure you are at the airport 1 hour earlier. Big chance to be delay if you take Lion air or Wings Air. If you take Garuda Air mostly almost never delay.

If you would see Lombok a bit, then take 1 day before and stay at Sengigi. At the morning you could easily to go to airport, it's just 1 hour and 30 minutes max about from sengigi to Airport.

#14 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71
 Send YogaSearcherBali a private message   Website   Facebook    Instagram 

Posted by amnicoll on 22/6/2016 at 04:30

I would hardly call going to Sengigi visiting Lombok it is simply a strip of sand with lots of hotels and restaurants all catering for westerners. Not my favorite place by a long way

However as somewhere to stay and get to the airport it is a good idea (better than Mataram (unless you know Mataram) and an hourly bus to the airport (or at least there was last year)

#15 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 944

Posted by savorygal on 22/6/2016 at 07:59

Hi
You can easily make the 1215 flight to KL from LOP. That is an Air Asia flight, yes? If so, it is usually on time.
I have taken that flight many times and leave Gili T no later than 730 on the local boat to Bangsal. . Walk 800 meters ( or take a horsecart for 20,000 IDR) to the Blue Bird metered taxis up the road. The ride to LOP takes about 1-1/2 hours and costs about 250,000 IDR.

The only issue you may have, is that as you are traveling in February, there may be high waves delaying the boats. You can easily watch the weather & decide a day or 2 ahead, & if it looks like there will be high seas, you can always go to Lombok the night before. I would stay in Sengiggi, (vs near the airport), and while it's no great shakes as amincoll points out, there are some nice hotels and decent restaurants & pretty sunsets to watch which can make your one night there more enjoyable versus staying in some concrete box out by Praya.

#16 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 176
 Send savorygal a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.