Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Visa

Posted by Kellyleanne77 on 23/6/2016 at 13:07

Hoping someone can help me... Beyond confused about the visas...

So I'm traveling for 6 months, leaving the UK in Jan 17, going to Thailand for just over 30 days then to the Philippines for 56 days and then back to Thailand for just under 30 days. My issue is that I want to travel Indonesia for just under two months (under 59 days) but I will be away for four months before reaching Indonesia so how do I go back applying for a visa to cover me for the 55 days?

Ideally I don't want to have to visit the embassy in Bali and waste time.
Is applying for whatever visa I need (please advise which one) whilst in Bangkok and idea and can I travel around (ground) for the week whilst I wait for the visa to be approved? - I've being emailing the Indonesian embassy in Thailand since April and have had no replies!

Please could someone help me and give me my options?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Kelly

#1 Kellyleanne77 has been a member since 23/6/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by SBE on 23/6/2016 at 15:48

Easy... just get a 60 day tourist visa in Bangkok when you're in Thailand the second time. The visa is valid for 90 days after issue, ie you have to enter the country within 90 days. Even if you enter Indonesia 89 days after issue you'll still have the right to stay for 60 days.

The Indonesian Embassy in Bangkok is on Petchburi Road near Panthip Plaza. It's open Mondays to Fridays except if there's a Thai or Indonesian public holiday. You apply for the visa in the mornings and you pick it up two days later in the afternoon... eg if you apply for the visa on Monday morning you'll be able to pick it up on Wednesday afternoon.

The application process is very easy and straightforward... the people at the desk speak English and the forms you have to fill in are in English too. You'll need a couple of photos, a copy of your return flight ticket and I think they need a photocopy of your passport too (there are shops nearby that can do photocopies for you). They ask for the name of the hotel you'll be staying at (I give them the name of the place I'll be staying the first night) but I've never been asked to show bank statements etc.

They'll give you a receipt for your passport while the visa is being processed ...this is a very important bit of paper, don't lose it! Should be no problem moving around with the receipt and a photocopy of the ID page of your passport and the entry stamp into Thailand.

PS

going to Thailand for just over 30 days

Lousy logistics. Can't you shorten your first visit to Thailand to 30 days or less? You'd be able to enter Thailand for free if you do.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by amnicoll on 25/6/2016 at 06:05

excellent summary above but just a couple of minor points to add.

from memory you need to be there before 11.00

You collect your passport 3 working days later but make sure you check the public holidays in both Thailand and Indonesia

You need to pay in US$ (50) so make sure you have already changed some currency as they will not accept Thai baht

When you fill in the form it is not (or was not) explicit that you were applying for the 60 day visa so make sure they are 100% clear that this is what you want and check it is a 60 day visa on return of passport

You could also check if there is an Indonesian embassy in Manila if more convenient than Bangkok

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 941
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 26/6/2016 at 23:07

Another tips for visa, you could apply the social visa for Indonesia from anywhere as long as you can find Indonesia embassy. Even from your original country you could do that and make sure the date your landing to Indonesia is correct.

#4 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71
 Send YogaSearcherBali a private message   Website   Facebook    Instagram 

Posted by SBE on 27/6/2016 at 02:12

Unlike Amnicoll's post, I don't think YogaSeacherBali's last tip is particularly helpful!

The 60 day tourist visa fits your requirements perfectly.... you'll be in Indonesia for under 60 days and you only need a single entry.

It doesn't sound like your reason for going to Indonesia is to visit family and friends and YogaSearcherBali forgot to mention that you need an Indonesian sponsor to get a social visa. It's usually cheaper and quicker to get a visa from an Indonesian consulate in SE Asia than at home.

PS.

Ideally I don't want to have to visit the embassy in Bali and waste time.

You could pay for a 30 day visa on arrival and get a 30 day extension in Bali but it would be a lot more hassle. You have to get your 60 day visa BEFORE you enter Indonesia.

#5 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by amnicoll on 27/6/2016 at 04:13

Thanks SBE.

On the subject of sponsors letter somewhere either in the blurb beforehand or on the form you fill in or both they mention you need a sponsors letter for the 60 day visa at the embassy in Bangkok but simply explain to them you are visiting on holiday and they will waive this requirement (or at least did so when I and others got our visas there last year)

I would say it is a good idea to have a hotel booking for when you arrive that you can show at the embassy even if you do not end up staying there and later cancel it just in case

#6 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 941
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 28/6/2016 at 21:40

it's okay if you didn't agree with my tips SBE, based on personal experiences it's work as long as you asking 60days holiday without Indonesian sponsor. My girlfriend did that many time (Sweden Nationality), at the beginning we though its just tourist visa for 60 days, when we going to local agency of visa extend, they said this is social visa and they mentioned the "code" on the visa paper. And we could extend till 6 month maximum.

you said "it's usually cheaper and quicker to get a visa from an Indonesia consulate in SE Asia than at home". Actually all the consulate of Indonesia in Asia, Europe or State, all of them used the same rules and the same system and the same regulation.

#7 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71
 Send YogaSearcherBali a private message   Website   Facebook    Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.